Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Glass Block Wall?

Visiting Guest

01-08-03, 08:54 AM   #1  
scully3512
Glass Block Wall?

I live in a split level house and the stairs that go up in the entryway have a half wall next to them that ends at the top stair and it's the floor of the upper level...make sense?

Well we have a 70's style banister on top of that half wall now and we are looking to replace with glass blocks. We have a wall unit in front of banister now with tons of wires coming out of entertainment equipment. So we are trying to design some kind of 4 foot high wall with an access panel door in the middle and maybe decorative glass blocks on each side of door.

We just aren't sure how to frame it so we can have small hinged door and glass blocks and still make sure it's sturdy and secure.

I know this is kind of out there idea to just through out there but you guys on this forum have given me tons of great ideas in the past so I figured it was worth a try.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

BJM

Sponsored Links

01-11-03, 03:56 AM   #2  
Why the access door? Am I assuming correctly it would be to access the wiring for the wall unit? Are you in need of accessing these wires that often ? How large does this door have to be? Try this. Purchase or build a frame the thickness of the block less the thickness of the door or doors if you want a door on both sides. Once finished the doors will be flush with the block and using european hinges the door will operate within the opening. This may require the hinges of the opposing doors to be off set as the jamb may be too narrow for the hinges to be back to back. This frame & door(s) will be made of finished material ie. oak, birch, what ever you want. Build the glass block to the tier level you want the door. Place the frame & continue to build thewall around and over the frame.

Visiting Guest

01-11-03, 05:06 AM   #3  
scully3512
Allan

Thanks for responding. As far as the access door/doors it is for access to wires and stuff and though not accessed that often with home theater easy access is always a plus.

We have been mulling over building a frame with 2 x 6's and using Pittsburgh Corning Rigid Track Silicone System to install a set of 16 Glass Blocks on each side of a small double door access panel. Based on the space we are working with (95 inches in length) and factoring the measurements of frame and glass block, we are left with approximately 23 inches to play with for our double door access panel.

We have done alot of home improvement stuff but nothing that required building something or knowing about building something.

I hadn't given much thought to hinges but what you have said has made me take in to account I need to factor them in when planning my measurements for doors.

Hopefully I am on the right track...LOL. Thanks once again for your reply and opinions and ideas are welcomed from anyone else.

BJM

Search this Thread