Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sealing drywall

Visiting Guest

01-08-03, 09:24 PM   #1  
Bryanx0a0d
Sealing drywall

There are several different drywall sealers/primers on the market. Kilz2, Zinsser are just two. It seems that just about every paint manufacturer has their own drywall sealer.

A gentleman at HD told me to use 2 coats of the Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 to seal new drywall. I was also advised to use the drywall sealer as the vapor barrier on the exterior walls when I started this project. When I closed the exterior walls I used unfaced R-13 and no vapor barrier.

Will the White Pigmented Water-Base Primer-Sealer work as a drywall sealer?
Should I use the Red label stuff instead?
Is there a better brand?

Does it really matter or have I been sniffing too much drywall dust?

fwiw, The top coat will be a latex based paint.

bryan

Sponsored Links

NC

01-09-03, 06:33 AM   #2  
If your finish paint manufacturer offers a sander/primer/sealer, use it. It will bond better with the finish paint.
Otherwise, use any other good s/p/s, such as Kilz.
Good Luck!
Mike

SC

01-09-03, 01:44 PM   #3  
There is a paint product that serves the purpose of sealing in place of a vapor barrier. Major paint dealers would carry it. I don't recall whether or not it is a primer or a finish coat.

Ordinarily, PVA primer is the first choice for priming new sheetrock prior to painting with latex.

Visiting Guest

01-09-03, 02:02 PM   #4  
Bryanx0a0d
I talked to a professional painter and a rep at Zinsser. The painter said to use Zinsser BIN if a vapor barrier was really needed. He said that normally the vapor barrier would be taken care of the facing in faced insulation in which case he would just use PVA. I knew I should have used the R-13 faced, the unfaced stuff was a pain to find.

The rep at Zinsser said that the BIN primer will provide a 0.4 perm vapor barrier per coat. One could would suffice, two would be better. This stuff is tintable but I doubt I will go that route since I will be priming 3 rooms and a hallway at the same time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Search this Thread