texturizing a wall

Old 01-09-03, 08:02 AM
texturizing a wall

I need to texturize and paint some new drywall. I plan on getting a drywall hopper and blowing it on myself. I've never done it before and I need a few hints to make it look as professional as possible.

1) Are the hoppers relatively easy to use and do they come with different nozzles for varied textures (coarser for the ceiling)?

2) Should I texturize the drywall first or prime and seal it first?

3) Do I use regular drywall mud to fill the hopper? If so, what consistency do I make it?

Any helpful hints would be great!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-03, 03:24 AM
Textured walls

You can also prime to seal and roll on a textured paint. Check with your local paint dealer for textured paints.

Old 01-13-03, 08:17 AM
Does anyone have any helpful hints regarding a drywall hopper like the consistency of the mud to use, the order of texturizing/sealing or the ease of use of this type of equipment?

Old 01-15-03, 07:52 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
a professional painter told me that the walls should be primed before texturing. the reason being that the wallboard paper and sheetrock mud will cause the texture to dry at different rates and could cause shadows later in the right light. after texturing the walls will have to primed again then painted.

texturing walls and ceilings is not that difficult.
add water to joint compound and mix until it is thin enough to pour into the hopper. then spray a cupful on the wall. if it's too thick just scrape it off and add more water until you get the look you want. then it's just like spray painting. take a 3 or 4' section of wall and start spraying. keep moving side to side and try to stay about 3' from the wall.

the nozzles on the hopper control the rate of compound that you are spraying on. how much water you add controls how coarse the compound will be. get a friend to help with mixing and you can pretty easily do your whole house in a day once you get the hang of it.

cleanup will be a lot easier if you tape off windows, doors, trim and floors before you start.