Plaster Walls (PLease HELP!)

Old 01-09-03, 12:14 PM
jeepman64
Visiting Guest
Plaster Walls (PLease HELP!)

I bought a house that was built in the 50's. it is a great looking house and it is my wife and I's first house. One problem is the walls. mainly the upstairs walls. Whoever did this to the house wasnt thinking, or was in a hurry. My guess is that the walls were plaster and after 50 or so years they began cracking and falling apart. Well instead of fixing it, the owner at that time put up some kind of panelling and then texture painted over those. We they didnt secure the boards very well and more of the plaster is falling. You can push on the walls and move the pannelling in and out. The cracks also show, it is jsut awful looking.
What can i do to help this. is it going to take, taking all the walls down and re plastering or putting up drywall? I am newly married and dont have much money. I would hope to do it myself. please help. Has anyone seen this before?

thanks in advance

Old 01-10-03, 04:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Plaster walls

Panels should be removed and any problems with walls should be properly repaired. If plaster beneath panels is beyond repair, then it can be covered with drywall. An improper quick fix tends to compound problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: