Texture

Old 01-11-03, 11:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Texture

OK, I have a texture in our dining room (or whatever we turn it into) on the ceiling. I was going to leave it alone, while I patch some walls, paint, get the hardwoods refinished...etc make it a nice study. However upon looking closer the textured ceiling (about 90% sure on plaster) (1957 build Cape) is peeling and cracking in places.

From what I have read, you can NOT scrape texture off plaster. Here is my dilemma. I have little cash right now, want the ceiling to look good, and want to get everything finished in that room over the next 3 weeks. (me working some nights and partial weekends on it)

I have 2 pictures of the texture (in good areas) for description. I have NO idea what kind it is (orange, popcorn,....pork loin.....whatever).

Questions:

1) Can you scrape the texture off plaster?
2) Can you "patch" the bad areas and get seamless results?
3) How much for someone to texture the ceiling for me (20X20')
4) Can I send a dig pic of the plaster to someone to identify?
5) How much for someone to plaster the ceiling smooth?

Thanks all. This board has been a help to me. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 01-12-03, 04:12 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove textured ceiling

Because your ceiling was applied prior to 1979 it probably contains asbestos. Asbestos fibers, once airborne, are inhaled and can cause respiratory and other health problems, including asbestiosis and cancer.

This type of ceiling is sometimes called "popcorn" and "cottage cheese" or acoustic. You can have your ceiling texture tested for asbestos. You can purchase a test kit on this website at http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

If you do not have asbestos, you can remove the texture. You will need to cover the floor and everything with sheets of plastic. Use a pump or hand held sprayer and thoroughly wet the ceiling and scrape. Water will soften the texture and destroy the bond. If you have paint on your ceilings, you will need to scrape it first to expose the texture so it can get wet.

They have ceiling texture scrapers with a long handle to which you can attach a plastic bag. If you can't get one of those, then a long handled scraper and someone holding a plastic bag to catch the texture will do. Or, use a wide putty knife. Filing off the sharp corners will keep the putty knife or scraper from digging into the ceiling. Once ceilings are smooth and clean, prime, and paint.

If you have asbestos, it is recommended that you hire a professional to do so. The EPA recommends covering over asbestos. You can install new drywall over the textured ceiling if you have asbestos.

Old 01-21-03, 09:31 AM
S
Twelvepole;

Thanks for the reply. Apparently the ceiling was done in the 80s by the rental people there. So said my father in law from whom I bought the home.

He feels the popcorn should come off fairly easily from the plaster ceiling and i may take this route. I am not in the mood to tape and mud sheetrock over my head. Walls fine, ceiling no thanks.

My next questions are:

1) Where can I find the scraper / collection bag so I do not spend an entire day putting plastic sheeting all over the room, just the floor?

2) Would a wide PLASTIC putty blade work well to avoid cutting into the ceiling plaster?

Thanks all: e3

Old 01-21-03, 01:18 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Use a garden sprayer with water and a little liquid soap to wet the popcorn down and scrape away. The metal blade should work fine and will be a little easier to use. The plastic blade is thicker and will be harder to push under the popcorn with. You will probably have some touch up to do on the ceiling no matter what.

Old 02-01-03, 09:25 AM
S
Angry

Holy C-rap this is NOT a fun job! As I spray the popcorn it does not want to come off very easily. Maybe I am doing it wrong. The ceiling is like 169 sq ft and feels like it will take me 5 days to scrape!

1) I am using a little household sprayer. Am I not using enough water?
2) Will using soap make a difference?
3) I think the flat ceiling was once painted , then the popcorn put on so scraping leaves like 2 or 3 layers.
4) Anyone in Ashland, MA want to come over and do this for me? Well I thought I would try....
5) ANY and I mean any tips as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks. e3

Old 02-01-03, 10:37 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing popcorn

I think the garden sprayer would be more effective. Scoring the paint on the surface would also allow greater penetration of the water. You have to really soak that popcorn to get it to dissolve so you can scrape it off. Be generous with the water! With all that water, you will need to cover everything with plastic.

Old 02-01-03, 10:47 AM
S
Thanks Twelvepole. I am actually thinking of another approach. ANYTHING to stop scraping. The ceiling is fine for 85% of it. The other 15% I was thinking of scraping to the plaster, mudding it in to level with the rest of the ceiling and maybe try a block against the wet mud or slightly dried/wet mud and pull it away and see what the texture is like. It may be a long shot but will only take a few minutes to check for feasability.

I will also borrow a garden sprayer for your method if mine does not work. 3rd is to buy 3/8" rock and hang about 8 sheets and tape / mud. Peace: e3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: