Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

~Hanging Drywall. Space needed on bottom?~

~Hanging Drywall. Space needed on bottom?~

Old 01-11-03, 02:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question ~Hanging Drywall. Space needed on bottom?~

Hello all,

Got started on my computer room/office in the basement. Even though I never did finish my bathroom down there. Anyway, when hanging the drywall how much space is required between the Drywall & the floor? Currently the floor is bare cement at the moment & I've no clue if I'm gonna use carpet or tile or whatever.

P.S. - What's with the coding? My text isn't showing blue. Also, is [img] disabled?

Old 01-11-03, 02:39 PM
Assuming you will be using a baseboard it really makes no difference whether the drywall goes all the way to the floor or not since the baseboard will cover any gap you leave. However if you have had dampness on the concrete floor you may want to leave a 1/4" or slightly more of a gap between the drywall and the floor so no moisture will wick itself into the drywall.

Kooter

Old 01-11-03, 02:46 PM
Cool. That's what I kinda figured. Moisture is not a prob at all, and affirmative on the baseboards. I'll probably just kick a piece of 1/2 drywall between the floor & the Drywall.

Last edited by Bluestraw; 01-11-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-11-03, 02:54 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Drywall

Drywall covers the sill plate to which it must be attached. Baseboard, which gives the room a finished look, is installed before installing flooring.

You can learn more about drywall on this website at www.doityourself.com/installdrywall

Old 01-13-03, 09:17 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
twelvepole,
"Baseboard, which gives the room a finished look, is installed before installing flooring. "

Not everywhere. I have had houses in VA, NH, and worked on many others where the finish hardwood floor was installed, baseboards above them by around 1/4 inch, and then shoe or quarter round to fill the gap. Pulling the baseboard off provides a very convenient place to make holes and damage for wiring that will be covered back up. If the baseboard was down before the floor, it would be trapped and be a real chore to pull it without damage.

Old 01-13-03, 03:23 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Baseboard

You are right brickeyee about baseboard going down after hardwood. I had carpet on my mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: