Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water damaged ceiling

Visiting Guest

01-12-03, 07:36 PM   #1  
brian simon
water damaged ceiling

need information on how to proceed and effect repairs to badly water damaged living room ceiling complete with fissures bulges and holes.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-12-03, 08:53 PM   #2  
bungalow jeff
I assume the source of the water damage is corrected. From your description, it sounds like the existing ceiling has to come down. The extent depends on the area of water damage. Remove beyond the damaged area to the next joist to support a piece or full panel of sheetrock. I recommend rounding up to 4-foot increments to make better use of sheetrock patches. If the ceiling damage is widespread, I would just replace the entire ceiling.

If the existing ceiling is plaster, you may need to shim the sheetrock level as old framing is very irregular. Check the framing for water damage, or more likely, mold. Clean the framing with a bleach solution to elimiate any existing or potential mold spores.
Check any wiring or plumbing lines that may have been damaged with the ceiling.

Take advantage of the open ceiling to upgrade wiring or to add some sound insulation.

Search this Thread