drywall and wainscot

Old 01-13-03, 01:08 PM
daleg
Visiting Guest
drywall and wainscot

After I complete the dyrwall in my basement I plan to dress it up with a 3 ft wainscot paneling at the bottom portion. The ceiling will be 7 ft and if I lay the drywall length wise from the top the lengthwise drywall seam will be covered with the wainscot and chair rail.
Will I have any problems if just finish the butt seams and don't finish the lengthwise seams? I fuigure I can save alot of taping and sanding this way.

Also should I apply some type of nailer for the wainscot before I finish the drywall or will the wall studs 16" OC be sufficient to attach the wainscot?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 04:44 PM
I would at least bed tape in the seam to seal out air leaks. The 16 inch spacing for the studs will be sufficient for the paneling.

Old 01-14-03, 07:33 AM
Excellent post. I'm currently working on the same thing. Putting up the drywall in that fashion will save me tons of time.

Question about wainscot though. Would a piece of 4 x 8 paneling cut into 1/3's work just the same? Giving each piece just under 32". Figure I could save a few bucks going this route.

Old 01-14-03, 08:54 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
I would put one layer of easysand with fiberglass tape to seal the joint. Mix the easysand really stiff and it will not shrink enough to matter.

Old 01-14-03, 07:28 PM
Cut the panel into thirds, set the panel on top of the baseboard, and set the finish trim on top of the panel should give you almost 36 inches. The finish trim piece for the top is made to fit over the top edge of the panel. Or shim the baseboard with a scrap of panel and set the wainscot panel just below the top edge of the baseboard and the bottom edge of the panel will be hidden.