Water damage

Old 01-22-03, 12:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Water damage

We've experiencing problems with water coming in around a window. The contractor who looked at it told us the roofer didn't put flashing up on the roof, which has caused the problem. The entire area around the window and surrounding walls have been damaged. What would be the best solution for the repairs, and how should we take out that much drywall to repair it?
Old 01-22-03, 05:47 PM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the sheetrock is simply stained, it can be sealed with something along the lines of Kilz and painted.

If the sheetrock needs replacing, then cut it back to the centerline of an adjacent stud for support in attaching the patch vertically. The horizontal can simply be taped and mudded at a butt joint with the good sheetrock.

It is probably easiest to find the stud along which you want to repair and cut on the damaged side of the stud with a sheetrock saw to remove the bulk of the sheetrock. Then split the width of the stud of the sheetrock on the stud to make for a place to mount the patch.
Old 01-23-03, 12:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Instead of trying to split the stud, you can scab a piece of 2x on to the existing stud to get a mounting surface. I use a 2x4 ripped lengthwise. About a 2x2.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: