Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Ceiling repair - matching existing tecture

Old 01-24-03, 05:36 AM
tryingtoDIY
Visiting Guest

Iím trying to duplicate an existing ceiling texture pattern on a ceiling repair. The pattern is repetitive and resembles the markings on the top of a Sand Dollar. Iíve tried sponges and other tools to no availÖ Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-03, 06:14 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Try a a trowel for spreading thinset, or even a big comb.

Old 01-25-03, 10:46 AM
timwilson
Visiting Guest
I have the exact same issue, I had a water problem and needed to cut away part of the ceiling in two rooms and the entire wall between them. I have the drywall back up and the the walls totally finished. I just do not know how to duplicate the texture on the ceiling. I have tried sponges and tools recommended by Lowes, but both of these give me a really fine texture, not anything like the texture on my ceilings. Here is a picture of the Ceiling http://timsserver.com/ceiling.jpg

Old 01-25-03, 11:15 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matching ceiling texture

Achieving a perfect match when trying to match existing texture is next to impossible. It takes much practice. You can practice on a piece of cardboard, leftover drywall, plywood, etc. If the texture does not look like it was achieved by using a roller or tool, experiment with sponges, rolled up paper (brown paper bag, plastic wrap, even tissue paper) can be used. You may even be able to duplicate the existing texture by using your fingers. Matching old texture is a trial and error process. The only way to achieve perfection is to completely retexture the whole wall or ceiling.

Old 01-29-03, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timwilson-the texture you have on your ceiling is called "stomp". The tool needed is called a crows foot. I know home depot carries them. They have a wood frame and long bristles comming out laying flat. Mix your mud pretty thin, dip the crows foot in, and slap it flat on the ceiling. The bristles will apply the mud then pull it down. Really easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: