Removing Baseboards safely

Old 01-26-03, 06:06 PM
cdfree
Visiting Guest
Removing Baseboards safely

Does anyone have a technique for removing baseboards that keeps damage to the walls and the boards to a minimum? I have plaster walls that are pretty delicate and I know that if I just dive in I'll do some real damage. The boards are pretty thick, maybe 3/4" to 1", and pretty heavy. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-03, 06:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing baseboards

You can take a nail punch and hammer and punch the nails through the baseboard. Gently pry off baseboard. Remove or drive nails into wall. Patch nail holes in baseboard before reinstalling. It might be helpful to label baseboards so you will know where they go when you get ready to reinstall.

Old 01-26-03, 10:27 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Get a thin scraper and a small prybar. Use the scrpare to brake the paint bond and loosen the trim. Use the prybar with the scraper under the bar on the plaster. This will spread the force on the prybar out and protect the plaster. Also, get a nail puller. Pull all of the nails from behind, knocking the nails out through the face of the trim will create large holes.

Most important tip of all, work slow. It stinks when a board statrr pulling away and then the edge snaps off. If the trim is going to be painted, wood putty and caulk are your best friends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: