Drywall "nail pop" and crowning.

Old 01-28-03, 11:25 AM
RMAD
Visiting Guest
Drywall "nail pop" and crowning.

Hi, I have been reading this forums for a while now. A lot of great information!!!!
I would appreciate any help with these two issues.
I have an older home, built in 1980. It is a modified split level. I have lived in it for the past 14 months now and see some things that I have not noticed before or some changes are taking place. Both have to deal with drywall. The first is what I understand as “nail pop” There seems to be more and more nail pops. On the upper level there are a few pops (5-8) however on the walls leading to the main level there seems to many more (15-20). After 20+ years the lumber that the drywall is nail to should have reached a point where the moisture in the studs are at a level where minimum to no change would be noted. Is this a correct assumption? Or is something else causing the nail pops.
2ND is what appears to be crowning in some of the drywall joints. They are where 2 sheets abut, taper to taper. The crowns run horizontally and they are visible under normal light conditions. Not all wall have the crowing effect (some load bearing and some non load bearing). It looks like the crowning stops where sheets of drywall were installed perpendicular to the floor.
Help please!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 02:43 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
As the house goes through the seasons, all of the materials will expand and contract with the temperature. They will also gain and lose moisture do to the ambient humidity. Older hosues with no vapor barrier and window AC's experience this more than newer homes. Aslong as there are nails in the drywall, nail pops will occur, mostly in the fall.

Old 01-29-03, 06:45 AM
Cool

The best solution for nail pops is to sink the nail again (do not tear drywall paper) and overlap the head of a drywall screw over the nailhead.
As fas as seam ridges go, you can try to sand them out smoother.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-29-03, 07:50 AM
That is a good solution for the nail pops. That is putting a screw right next to the nail. For the seams that seem to be crowning you will first determine if the tape has come loose. Do this by tapping it with your fingernail. If it sounds hollow or feels loose then remove the tape and re tape. If not then apply more mud to both sides of joint and feather flat. This situation is caused by settling. Usually occuring in stairwells.

Old 01-29-03, 10:36 AM
RMAD
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply bungalow jeff, OldGuy and coops28

I will set screws next to the “pops” When I go around and paint the rooms. I am in the process of prepping the walls in a bath room with a few nail pops and the some of the crowning. I did tap on the joints and the tape is not coming loose. Using a 4 foot level, placed from the ceiling to the crown the wall is flat. From the crown to the floor the wall is also flat, however if I center the level on the crown (2 foot above and below the crown) I can rock the level. There is approximately 3/8 inch gap. I will try and fill in the areas with joint compound. I do have 4 areas of crowning in the area of my stairwells.
Is this crowing something that was stop after time? There is original wallpaper on the walls in 3 rooms and up the stairwell.

Thanks again