Instally drywall/blueboard

Old 01-30-03, 06:30 AM
Instally drywall/blueboard

Hi, All -

I am getting ready to hang blueboard on the walls in a basement TV room I'm building, using 4'X 8'sheets. I've looked at a short on-line video instruction, which tells you to hang the sheets horizontally, starting with the top row, then hanging the bottom row. Could someone explain why this is? Before seeing this video, I had assumed I would hang the sheets verically, since I would be working alone and this would be easier. But I would rather do things correctly and sacrifice some convienience, but it would help to know the reasoning behind this.

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-03, 07:44 AM
The reason you hang drywall horizontally is for strength. It's the same reason you stagger your butt joints. If you hang the rock vertically you will have a long weak joint that will be prone to crack when any shifting occurs. Just out of curiosity, why are you hanging blue board?

Old 01-30-03, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the information.

I am hanging blueboard because the possibility exists that my niece's husband (plasterer by trade) may have time to plaster the room for me. If not, I will be doing mud and tape.

Dave

Old 01-30-03, 09:04 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Use screws. If you need to rent a drill driver, rent one. A torque screwdriver will not work correctly. A drywall drill driver stops driving based on the depth of the screw. Adjust the depth so the screw is just below flush, but does not tear through the cardboard. You will quickly find out how plumb your studs are. Hope you did a good job! :-)

Old 01-30-03, 09:44 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the tip, and I did plan to use screws. I hope I did a good job on the studs, too - I used a 4-foot level.

Dave