Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

strip the wall or just knock out plaster walls

Visiting Guest

01-30-03, 07:14 AM   #1  
genuineantique
strip the wall or just knock out plaster walls

I am the one that is doing the remodeling on a 1910 Victorian Home. I want to put Drywall on the walls in our bedroom.
My question is should I strip the old wallpaper then put up the drywall or just knock off the plaster down to the lath strips then put up the dry wall. Which is better?

I know I will have to take off all the original crown moldings, base boards and door molding.
Any good tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Penny

Sponsored Links

KS

01-30-03, 07:51 AM   #2  
If your walls are in good shape, I would leave them alone. By good shape I mean not too many cracks and is still adhered well. A good way to check is to push on the wall. If there is any give you may have to tear out. People give good money to make new walls look like old plaster so if they are in good shape I think you should save them.

Visiting Guest

01-30-03, 09:08 AM   #3  
brickeyee
I would fix those walls, unless they are so bad you cannot do it. Just about anything can be repaired. If you hire someone all you can usually afford is a strip job. If you are willing to do it, they can be repaired. Fiberglass drywall tape and setting type joint compound will make the wall look as good as new.

Search this Thread