Dry wall

Old 01-31-03, 12:44 PM
pmcelhany
Visiting Guest
Question Dry wall

Is there a way to mark the hole for an outlet or switch box, in new drywall, other than measuring the distances from the edges?

Old 01-31-03, 01:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thats the only way if you cut the hole prior to hanging your rock. Your other, and better, option is to measure from an edge of the rock to the edge of your box, hang your sheet, then cut out the box with a roto zip(or similar) tool.

Old 01-31-03, 01:40 PM
pmcelhany
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coops28
Thats the only way if you cut the hole prior to hanging your rock. Your other, and better, option is to measure from an edge of the rock to the edge of your box, hang your sheet, then cut out the box with a roto zip(or similar) tool. :
I have a Rotozip. Do I let the Rotozip run around the outside of the box to get that "Perfect Fit?" Sounds much easier than the guess work of measuring.

Old 01-31-03, 08:36 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You could put marker on the box lip and hold the drywall in place to transfer the mark.

Old 02-03-03, 06:38 AM
pmcelhany
Visiting Guest
That sounds like a good idea. What would I use to make to mark?
Maybe some chalk?

Old 02-03-03, 03:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There used to be marking systems that you could fibe. My suggestion would be to use a stamp pad. Ink the box with the stamp pad, move the drywall in place and then lightly tap the drywall to transfer the mark.

Old 02-04-03, 05:41 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I have read about using lipstick, but I go without and my wife would kill me if I used hers.

Old 02-04-03, 06:16 AM
pmcelhany
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips. Like you, think I'll pass on the lipstick. The inkpad sounds like a good trick and a stamp pad sems like it would be about the right size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: