Mud bubbles

Old 02-01-03, 12:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mud bubbles

I am looking for a few hints on reducing the small bubbles that get trapped in the drywall compound when mudding. Is it in need of better mixing or add water or what? I am looking at sheetrocking my ceiling and would LOVE to minimize the mudding I have to do over my head. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 02-01-03, 02:06 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bubbles in drywall mud

Mixing mud with mud masher will mix mud without creating any air bubbles. If you are using pre-mixed mud, overmixing can get air into the mud and cause bubbles and craters. Some say the compound is easier to work with if you add a few drops of dish soap and that it aids in mixing and eliminates small air bubbles.

Old 02-01-03, 05:32 PM
S
I normally use the ready mix regular weight stuff from Home Depot. I never mix either. Straight from bucket to the wall. Am I missing a step(s)? peace: e3

Old 02-01-03, 05:47 PM
T
Mud bubbles

I'm no drywall expert, but everyone I know who hangs and installs drywall stirs and mixes the premixed compound. As stated, the more you stir, the more air and bubbles may be produced. Thus, the masher pushes up and down and not around to stir air into the mixture. I guess its like buying paint. They will shake it to make sure all the liquids and solids are stirred up together. At home we stir & stir to reassure that we have it all mixed well. With the premixed mud concoctions, there needs to be some mixing/stirring to assure all liquids and solids are evenly distributed.

Perhaps someone with greater experience will have some input on this thread. When you took the mixture straight from the bucket to the wall in the past, did you have bubbles?

Old 02-01-03, 06:00 PM
S
Twelvepole. When I go from the bucket to the wall, I sometimes get bubbles. However it is normally when I apply greater pressure to the putty knife during application. The greater pressure makes the mud exhibit a rheological behavior that appears to separate liquids out. Its been a long time since my ceramics education so if anyone wnats to explain it, I am all ears. Peace: e3 - spamman

Old 02-01-03, 06:15 PM
T
Mud bubbles

Some of my reading about drywall bubbles recommends laying heavier with the tool to apply the mud to eliminate bubbles. Thus, the theory re: rheological behavior. Rheological behavior of materials involves the deformation and flow of matter. Thus, to achieve the best results from mixes and compounds, one, in my opinion, should assume that some mixing of the liquids and solids should be involved as in paint. Again, I defer to someone who has more expertise in this area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: