sheetrock by myself?

Old 02-08-03, 06:48 AM
Question sheetrock by myself?

Can someone tell me a way to hang 4x8' sheets of 3/8" drywall onto a ceiling by MYSELF? I am having a hard time finding someone to help me this week and I need to get it done. I will be hanging about 5 sheets to cover old plaster and crappy texture.

Any fixturing or tool to lift one side while I lift the other and screw it home? Peace: e3

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-03, 07:50 AM
IWD1
Visiting Guest
Either rent a drywall jack from your local tool rental and supply or you can make 2 T bars out of 2x4 studs that are little lower than the ceiling when they are stood on end and you can use the T bar supports to hold the drywall.

Old 02-10-03, 07:22 AM
scooterJ
Visiting Guest
I have done it both ways...Rent a unit or build a wood T.
The rental method is way faster, plus you can raise the drywall and mark cutouts, lower it again, make the cuts and raise it again...in seconds.
S

Old 02-10-03, 08:46 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
i read an article in the family handyman that said you could use 1/2" sheetrock on a ceiling IF the ceiling joists were 16" oc or less, and no texture added. personally i prefer 5/8 on ceilings. if you use 3/8 i will bet that within 6 months your ceiling will be sagging.

Old 02-10-03, 01:52 PM
dickh: I appreciate the help. I am putting the 3/8" over 3/8" plaster that is on 3/8" blueboard. The plaster is solid as hell and only has the annoying texture. No sag in the plaster and no leaks (new roof). I cannot see a need for 5/8" for this application. therefore the use of the 3/8" light stuff. If it were directly to the beams and holding up insulation, then 5/8" is the way I would go. Peace: e3 - spamman