Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bubbles Under Tape

02-08-03, 09:32 AM   #1  
Bubbles Under Tape

I just applied the second coat of mud over the drywall joints, and noticed that the tape is bubbling up a bit at the seam where the two sections meet. I waited about 18 hours to apply this second coat. The seams I am having trouble with are a butt-to-taper joint, where the existing drywall is butting up against the tapered side of the new drywall.

Should I not have done this? Or did I apply too much mud in the first coat? I filled the taper side of the joint as much as possible. The butt-butt joints are not showing this problem.

Do I need to remove the tape and compound, and redo it on the problem seams? Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Sponsored Links

02-08-03, 09:45 AM   #2  
Ok, lessons learned ... do you search for the same problem BEFORE you post the question! Lol. Sounds like this has been answered before.

To add more info, the tape is the paper tape (is the fiberglass mesh type recommended??), and the bubbles run 50-75% the length of the seam. It sounds like I need to remove the tape, fill in the joint first and let it dry, and then add the tape to this. This is not a large area, it is 2 sheets of drywall meeting in a corner (bathroom remodel).

Comments?

Thanks!
Jeff

KS

02-09-03, 10:18 AM   #3  
Remove loose tape. and do over. The air bubbles or blister occurs because you didn't get enough mud under the tape the first time.

02-11-03, 04:07 AM   #4  
Unfortunately, I had an out-of-town trip arise for a few days, and the joint compound has now dried over the tape bubbles. At this stage, would the best fix be to remove the compound and tape, and start back at square one? I'm not under any time constraints to get this done, I just want to make sure I don't have problems down the road.

There are also a couple places where the bubble might be a couple inches long. If I leave this, will it continue to increase in size, and the tape come loose, or will there just be a "bubble" in the wall?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Search this Thread