patching/repairing popcorn ceiling

Old 02-09-03, 09:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
patching/repairing popcorn ceiling

My house is 14 years old and we want to redo our kitchen. This means taking out the soffets and patching back the ceiling with sheet rock. My question is this--can i not only re-popcorn the new areas but spray over lightly the existing popcorn as well to match it? Do I have to do any special prep to the old popcorn so the new can stick? The old ceiling has no stains or leaks. OR.. do I have to scrap down allll the old popcorn and re squirt entirley? My concern is the new spray sticking to the old popcorn....the old popcorn has NEVER been painted.

Old 02-09-03, 11:30 AM
You can definitely patch the hole and match the existing texture, but.... The color won't match. The old stuff yellows over time and the new stuff will be white. 2 things you can do is 1) paint the entire ceiling when your done or 2) scrape the ceiling and either retexture or finish smooth. Now when you hang your patch scrape at least 12 inches of the old acoustic around the patch. You don't have to do a great job just get the texture down. That way you can float your edge out flat. When your ready to spray your texture make sure there isn't a sharp edge around your patch. If you do knock it down with a sander or a wet sponge works well to feather the edge. When you spray your texture definitely go over the old stuff with the new(about a foot all the way around your patch). Two other things to consider is 1)buy the right size texture and 2)when you think your done spraying, go over it again one more time. I say that because that stuff shrinks and might not cover entirely. With all that good luck. Also I think you should go ahead and do the repair first (texture too) and then make up your mind about painting the enitre ceiling. Who knows maybe it will look good.

Old 02-11-03, 06:05 AM
P
spraying over the old popcorn?

Cops--what if i not only retextured the repair area but the entire ceiling with no prep? Would the new stick to the old? OR do I have to entirely rescrape the ceiling and entirley repopcorn? Room is 12 by 29 and the soffet area is only 1 1/2 by 12.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: