Sheetrock over brick

Old 02-10-03, 01:13 PM
GrahamMark
Visiting Guest
Sheetrock over brick

Looks like I need to rip down a plaster wall in my kitchen. I can't save the old plaster - I would if I could. But I don't know exactly how to put sheetrock onto brick. I suppose I should build a wood frame, but I'd rather not lose the four inches in my kitchen to the 2x4s.

any suggestions. Does it make a difference that I will be hanging kitchen cabinets from the wall?

thanks

Old 02-10-03, 05:30 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the plaster applied to the brick?

Old 02-11-03, 07:37 AM
GrahamMark
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is applied directly to the brick

Old 02-11-03, 09:34 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems as if you could consider gluing the sheetrock to the brick wall with construction adhesive. If the surface ot the brick wall is flat, then there should be no problem having a flat wall when you are finished. If this is an exterior wall with no vapor barrier, moisture hay be a concern. Did the plaster fail because of moisture?

I would want to think through exactly how to attach the cabinets. I imagine that you will need an anchor and screw arrangement to mount the cabinets. It seems that trying to be successful by nailing through a ledger board through the sheetrock into the brick might be unreliable because you will be hard pressed to tell if the nail went into the brick or the mortar or if the surface cracked or shattered leaving the fastener to fail in the future.

There may be some other suggestions as others come along.

Old 02-11-03, 09:41 AM
GrahamMark
Visiting Guest
You bring up some great points I haven't thought about. It is an exterior wall, so a vapor barrier is a consideration. I've thought about exposing the brick on the inside. At least that way I'll know if my cabinet anchors are going to hold. That said, I've never considered having exposed brick when the other side is an outside wall. I don't know what problem that might cause.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: