dog damaged wall

Old 02-14-03, 12:10 PM
churche
Visiting Guest
Question dog damaged wall

I have two damaged wall areas that I need to repair before vacating my apartment. The first is an area next to the door caused by scratching the wall and is shallow (1/4 inch). However, it is fairly long (6-8 inches) but narrow (2 inches at the widest point).

The second is a hole in the wall caused by persistant digging when crated during the day. Way too much energy during the recovery period after being spayed! Anyway, the crater is against an exterior wall and is probably 2 inches deep. It is 8-10 inches tall and 3-4 inches wide.

Any and all information about repairing the wall and making it as unobtrusive as possible is greatly appreciated -- the more details, the better. And don't worry the puppy is no longer crated against a wall nor left unsupervised when not crated. Thanks--Betsy

Old 02-14-03, 12:47 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some spackle or light weight joint compound of the non-shrinking variety. Fill the depressions with the compound. Let it dry. The deep one may dry faster if you fill it halfway and let it dry, then fill it the rest of the way. A cheap plastic 2" wide putty knife will be enough.

After this is dry, sand smooth with 150 grit sand paper. Wrap a piece of the sandpaper around a block of wood to help make the surface flat. Prime the raw surface with some spray Kilz. The spray is easy to use, no brush needed. Tape some newspaper over the adjacent woodwork and floor or carpet to protect it when you spray.

After this dries, paint. I am assuming that you don't have any of the needed tools to start with. If you do, then adjust accordingly.

Check back if you need anything else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: