Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall finishing

Visiting Guest

02-14-03, 10:19 PM   #1  
ruadh2
drywall finishing

I AM WORKING ON A DRY WALL PROJECT AND MY FIRST QUESTION IS WHEN COVERING SCREW HOLES SHOULD YOU GO HEAVY AND SAND DOWN CAUSING ONE COAT ONLY RECOVERING IF REQUIRES OR SHOULD YOU GO THIN ONLY FILLING HOLE BY SCRAPING CLEAN THEN RECOVER, IN THE PAST I HAVE GONE HEAVY SANDED BUT I AM GETTING MANY DIFFERNT INPUTS ON THIS, WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY OR IS EITHER OK. (SORRY ABOUT THE RUN ON) NEXT I HAVE ALWAY USED PRIMER BEFORE PAINTING, ON THIS PROJECT (1800 SQUARE FEET) A BASEMENT CAN I GET AWAY WITH OUT. I HAVE BECOME VERY GOOD AT HIDING MY SEEMS BUT HAVE NEVER NOT PRIMED AND THE OWER DOES NOT WANT TO, CAN I JUST PRIME THE SEAMS AND CORNER OR WILL A QUALITY PAINT SERVE JUST AS WELL, ANY ADVISE WOULD HELP. THIS IS MY FIRST JOB I'VE DONE FOR SOME ONE ELSE AND I WANT TO ENSURE THEY ARE HAPPY WITH IT (MIND YOU THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND)

Sponsored Links

02-14-03, 10:46 PM   #2  
Fill the holes and scrape clean...not hard,,,,,just clean. Repeat three times and you'll provide quality work in less time without getting a sore arm........It will take less time to fill three than to vacume the dust of one heavy coat. Steady is the key to efficiency and quality...

.Cover the entire wall with a primer/sealer which is tinted to match the final coat.....If you use a high quality primer and paint, you'll have a quality basement finish with one coat of each......

Paint will adhere to sheetrock compound which is not primed however the sheetrock must be sealed.
(yes, I typed it correctly.)

The directions on the paint provide the information....

Visiting Guest

02-14-03, 10:51 PM   #3  
IWD1
If you don't care about extra time sanding or using extra mud to cover the screw heads then I would say do whatever floats your boat it all looks the same in the end.

The primer not only seals the joints so the mud doesn't soak more paint and become visible when it is finished coated it also helps to mask the texture variations between the mud seam and the drywall paper.

I am pretty sure that there are finish coat grade paints that have primer in them. But I am not sure if they look as good as the using a standard primer before finish coating. I have no experience with them.

In my opinion not priming before finish coating is cutting a corner. I have a friend that purchased a new home recently and there was wall paper on the wall and the wall was painted underneath. He decided to remove the wall paper so he could paint the room, when he began to remove the paper the drywall paper started tearing. The reason this happened was due to the fact that the previous owner or builder did not use a standard primer before a topcoat of paint he used a topcoat paint that had primer in it to save time.

Search this Thread