crown molding joints have opened up

Old 02-16-03, 12:19 PM
itbeme
Visiting Guest
crown molding joints have opened up

My crown molding joints are opening up. One, in particular, has opened up a little over 1/16". I tried patching with caulking, but cannot seem to get a smooth look to it. It eventually reopened. Should I be using caulking or wood putty ? Either way, how can I get a smooth finish to it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 02-16-03, 06:39 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's nothing like the look of a house settling.

Assuming this is an outside corner. Fill it with wood putty or spackle, let it dry, sand it smooth to match the profile, and paint.

Check to see if the crown is pulling away from the ceiling as well. If if pulling away from the ceiling at the same point as it is opening, it may serve well to have it reattached to the support wood. Depending upon the age of your house, you might check with the builder.

Old 02-19-03, 10:35 AM
D
Moulding Gaps

I had a similar problem. We moved into a house that had beautiful crown moulding (about 6" wide) in the diningroom. It was painted a dark color. When I painted it white I found spaces where the crown mould was peiced together. Most large crown moulding is biult up with several pieces. I broke out the caulking gun and spent about a half a dozen tubes filling all the gaps. When you fill a section go back over with you finger and smooth it over. It looks great and any extra should wipe off with a damp cloth. This works if you plan on painting it, of course. If you plan on staining you will have to go with color match putty. Good luck.

Old 02-19-03, 08:29 PM
The gaps are most likely forming due the the wood shrinking in the dry winter heat. A week or two of indoor acclimation prior to installing would have helped. (same for wood floors).
Instead of spackle, a paintable silicone caulk is another fix.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: