Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Compromising Structural Integrity of Joists?

Old 02-22-03, 08:17 AM

I plan on finishing my basement ceiling using the ceiling max grid/tile system. I need to lower the ceiling about 1 1/2" to clear all obstructions. In order to do this I was planning on using 2 x 4's. I planned on installing several rows perpendicular to the ceiling joists. I was then going to mount the various top hangers of the ceiling max system to the 2 x 4's. This would bring mt ceiling down 1 1/2'' below the joists clearing all obstructions. My concern is as follows: I would be screwing the 2 x 4's into the "short" dimension of the joist (The 1 1/2" edge). I would think that I run the risk of splitting the joist &/or perhaps compromising its structural integrity. In all I'd need to run aprroximately 6-7 rows of 2 x 4's, and the each joist would be getting drilled into numerous times by the different rows of 2 x 4's. Any thoughts on this?

I suppose an alternative to drop my ceiling might be to install would parallel to the ceiling joists like sister joists & then install the 2 x 4's into these sister joists. Would this be better interms of preserving the joists?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-03, 09:13 AM
bvgas,

With what you are proposing, you will have no worries about structural integrity. It's going to take alot more than screws into the bottom of your joists to give you any concern.

Basically all you're doing is adding large furring strips. There won't be any problems at all. Ceiling Max will look great!

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-03, 11:57 AM
Doug

Thanks for the feedback. So you feel the likelihood of splitting the joist wood is small. Even with multiple furring strips crossing & being screwed into each joist.

Old 02-22-03, 12:13 PM
bvgas,

If a joist is 1 1/2" wide and you are placing screws or nails in the center, it's going to take a bid screw or anil to split it. We're not talking about what happens to small blocks of wood. A full length joist can handle the furring boards as you described. It should be no problem. If you'd like, e-mail me a sketch so that I am not misunderstanding your intent.

I'm around all day and tomorrow.

Old 03-02-03, 10:00 PM
I agree with Doug, furring strips won't do your joists any harm unless they are in terrible shape to begin with. If it were me I'd use 2"x2"s instead of 2"x4"s, would save you a few bucks on lumber & still support your new grid ceiling just fine.

I do these with a laser level and wire hangers to suspend the grid, but what you're purposing will work out fine also, providing everything is level to start with.