1/2 or 5/8 drywall?

Old 02-26-03, 10:45 AM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
1/2 or 5/8 drywall?

Building a new home and wondering. What is normally used? Do I use the 1/2" throughout the house or 5/8"? And what are the advantages of either size drywall? And where is a good place in the Houston area I can get it for the best price? Thanks again for your help

Old 02-26-03, 11:19 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
as a general rule use 1/2" on the walls, 5/8" on the ceilings. fire codes may require 5/8 on some walls. our city for instance requires 5/8 in the garage if it is attached.

Old 02-26-03, 01:01 PM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much.

Old 03-02-03, 09:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I definitely check the local codes, I imagine that 5/8" is prescribed for ceilings and dividing walls between habitable and nonhabitable space, like your garage. If you can go with 1/2" it's alot light and but I'd recommend getting "anti-sag" rock for any ceilings, believe it's made by USG.

Also if you're doing a whole house, I suggest looking in your local yellow pages for a drywall supplier, it may cost ya a couple of bucks extra, but these guys will put the rock inside where you need it as opposed to delivered on a pallet. Rock is alot easier to work with if it's standing up rather than laying flat. Trust me it's worth it to pay a bit more to have it stocked rather than delivered. IMHO

Old 03-02-03, 09:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another thought, if you're planning on any tiled walls in baths or kitchen, there are much better choices than sheetrock for these areas. Just something to think about.

Old 03-02-03, 11:24 AM
Houllx
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: