Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1/2 or 5/8 drywall?

Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 09:45 AM   #1  
Houllx
1/2 or 5/8 drywall?

Building a new home and wondering. What is normally used? Do I use the 1/2" throughout the house or 5/8"? And what are the advantages of either size drywall? And where is a good place in the Houston area I can get it for the best price? Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 10:19 AM   #2  
dickh
as a general rule use 1/2" on the walls, 5/8" on the ceilings. fire codes may require 5/8 on some walls. our city for instance requires 5/8 in the garage if it is attached.

Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 12:01 PM   #3  
Houllx
Thank you very much.

MO

03-02-03, 08:44 AM   #4  
I definitely check the local codes, I imagine that 5/8" is prescribed for ceilings and dividing walls between habitable and nonhabitable space, like your garage. If you can go with 1/2" it's alot light and but I'd recommend getting "anti-sag" rock for any ceilings, believe it's made by USG.

Also if you're doing a whole house, I suggest looking in your local yellow pages for a drywall supplier, it may cost ya a couple of bucks extra, but these guys will put the rock inside where you need it as opposed to delivered on a pallet. Rock is alot easier to work with if it's standing up rather than laying flat. Trust me it's worth it to pay a bit more to have it stocked rather than delivered. IMHO

MO

03-02-03, 08:47 AM   #5  
Another thought, if you're planning on any tiled walls in baths or kitchen, there are much better choices than sheetrock for these areas. Just something to think about.

Visiting Guest

03-02-03, 10:24 AM   #6  
Houllx
thanks for the input!!!

Search this Thread