Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sealing, Priming, Texturing, and painting new drywall in basement

Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 11:32 AM   #1  
jpbaker10
Sealing, Priming, Texturing, and painting new drywall in basement

Was wondering if anyone could steer me in a good direction. I have researched a bit and just was wondering what is really necessary. Has anyone used a combination primer/sealer, or primer/texture material with success? I have been looking at the "Sheetrock" products under usg.com and am at a loss. I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on an air compressor and hopper. Must I seal it and prime it or could I just prime it? I guess I'm not sure of the difference...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 09:19 PM   #2  
IWD1
The good brands of primer do seal the drywall and seams. Also since you do plan to texture your walls and one day in the distant future you decide to remove the texture from the wall to acheive a smooth finish etc.. it is always easier to remove texture when the drywall underneath has been primed.

Personally I would prime my walls before texturing. I am currently on the tail end of drywalling my entire house and before I applied any ceiling texture I primed the ceilings.

NC

02-27-03, 04:45 AM   #3  
If the paint manufacturer of the finish paint that you've chosen makes a sander/primer/sealer, use their primer brand for better bonding.
When we did our sheetrock, we used Benjamin Moore paint and Benjamin Moore SPS primer, for instance.
Good luck!
Mike

MO

03-02-03, 08:36 AM   #4  
I do drywall work quite a bit of the time and it is a regular practice to smooth finish new sheetrock and then spray & knockdown. Then come in and spray a good drywall primer, we use sheetrock brand from a drywall supplier, but others are good too. As to going back to a smooth finish later, prime first or knockdown first, either way you're gonna have to do some fill & sandin, to get it smooth again & reprime prior to painting. But primer is all you need prior to painting.

As to using a compressor & hopper, for a single job, just go rent a texture machine from a local rental yard or possiblely a hardware or big box store. Up to last yr I rented one for every job for $40 a day, which is cheap considering you usually add $.05 a s/f to a finish job for knockdown vs. smooth finishing. Also to do knockdown right spray then allow it to stand for about 20 mins, then drag your paddle over it.

Visiting Guest

03-03-03, 07:11 AM   #5  
jpbaker10
I appreciate everyone's help and ideas. I decided on the sheetrock brand stuff but couldn't find it anywhere. I then figured i was going to use Behr paint so HD had their brand of primer and sealer so I used that on the new drywall over the weekend. Next weekend I plan on getting the hopper at the eqpt. rental place and awesomedell was right on at $40 a day. So after I apply the spatter/knockdown, I need to re-prime correct? I will admit that there are a few flaws in the mud/taping job I did and would like to cover that up as nuch as possible. I am going on the theory that the more layers the more it will hide....is that a bad way to look at it?

MO

03-05-03, 08:18 PM   #6  
You're on the button, good walls = coats and patience. A beer or two while watching your skim coat dry is acceptable. If you don't like it before spraying, odds are you won't like it afterwards, better to fix it first.

Search this Thread