New interior wall on angled attic?

Old 03-02-03, 03:16 PM
murfster
Visiting Guest
Question New interior wall on angled attic?

I'm having difficulty laying out a new interior wall. Background: I'm taking an attic space, with a high angled roof, and turning it into a bonus room. I've done the insulation, subfloor and put in a window. Now I want to build 2 interior walls.

The problem comes at the header. How do I connect it to the angled roof joists? I've measured out and cut my base ... now I'm lost.

Here's a pic of what I need:

www.murphydepot.com/images/mike/joistrough.jpg

I know that the html won't work ... but you can copy-n-paste the address and you should see my problem.

Any help would be great!!

Old 03-02-03, 04:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Murfster,

Probablly should have posted this ? here
http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...?s=&forumid=11

Here's a link to a thread with similar ??

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...158#post399158

Hope that helps you out.

Old 03-02-03, 10:06 PM
murfster
Visiting Guest
The thread is similar, but it doesn't answer my question. The forum you sent me to was for attics. This is building an interior wall with an angle. Thanks anyway.

Help ... anyone else?

Old 03-02-03, 10:35 PM
Sorry from looking at your diagram, looked to be an upstairs knee wall that you're planning to build. Anyway, assuming this is a non-load-bearing wall, just measure your studs and precut to length, attach them at uniform centers to your base & top plates, stand your wall up, and toenail top plate to the existing ceiling trusses. plumb it out and nail to the subfloor. Then hang your rock & finish it. Have you got existing sheetrock ceilings or just bare trusses?

Old 03-03-03, 04:47 AM
murfster
Visiting Guest
Ahh ... thanks. I've got bare trusses, so the ceiling will be hung later. Since they are not load bearing walls another question arises. What is the point of the header? Couldn't the studs just be attached directly to the ceiling angled trusses? I understand the base plate ... not the top plate in this application.

Old 03-03-03, 05:46 AM
Yeah you could go that way as well, since it's not a load bearing wall, you could go that way. I've seen it done both ways, it's a bit easier to hang your top wall sheet of drywall if you have the top plate, since it gives you a consistent nailer across the top of your sheet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: