Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Anyone have exposed ceilings in their house?

Old 03-04-03, 12:03 PM
schlitz100
Visiting Guest

Just bought a house, am about to renovate the living area. The room is @35' x 13'. I am planning on removing this gaudy drop ceiling, exposing the brick on one wall, paint the other walls, and removing the ugly fuchia carpetting and refinishing the wood floors.

I was originally thinking of drywalling the ceiling but am starting to think of exposing it. I think it has a cool look to it but besides that it may make it easier to work on the plumbing when i redo the bathroom (above it) and to do the ductwork in that room (or have it done). It'll also save me some money on drywall and i figure i could still do it in a the future if i decide to.

It has been a while since i've seen exposed ceiling and was wondering what the normal transistion was from the drywall/brick to ceiling... any molding or what not? Any other considerations i should think about before doing this. Right now it looks like accoustic tile is hammered to the ceiling above the drop-ceiling so I don't want to rip that down until i decide.

Thanks

Old 03-04-03, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've got the old 12"x12" ceiling tiles above the drop ceiling, I imagine you've got a grid of 1"x3" or 1"x4" under the joists that the tile is attached to, so if ya rip them down, that might not be so very attractive. Just a thought. As to trim, on the walls at joists ends, don't see how you'd want any top molding there, but trim is sort of a decorating thing. I leave it up to who's payin the bill, I'll make some suggestions, but usually they tell me what they want, if it's doable, I tell 'em what it'll cost & we go from there.

I'd agree that it makes no sense to spend the time, labor, & money on rockin the ceiling if you know you're gonna have to tear into it for projects in the near future.

Good luck on the project.

Old 03-07-03, 09:34 AM
schlitz100
Visiting Guest
some pics of the current work...

under the tile was 1 x 3's, under that was plaster attached to thin narrow boards (forget the name for it)

Old 03-10-03, 11:54 AM
schlitz100
Visiting Guest
if you don't suggest molding what would you suggest? I plan on drywalling up to or near the joists. I'm just clueless to what is usually done with exposed ceiling.

Old 03-10-03, 07:24 PM
schlitz100

Ok nice pics, that always helps when ya can see what you're workin with.

Exposing the ceiling might be an option here, you could dress it up with a simple base and shoe molding combination, basically a layered trim., But if you're plannin on running duct work up there and plumbing upstairs above it, I'd probably leave things as is other than cleaning up the joists of the nails & remainder of the plaster. Personally I'd soffit in my duct work, run and pressure test my new plumbing, then cover it back up with drywall.

A few questions, How long before you're going to do the other work? How tall is this ceiling? What was on the brickwall that you're exposing? Any chance of a pic of that? What part of the country are ya in?

Not alotta help yet I know, just need a bit more detail.

awesomedell

Old 03-11-03, 06:48 AM
schlitz100
Visiting Guest
I may do drywall after i do the ductwork and plumbing if i don't like the look. I think i will though.

The upstairs hall/bathroom is my next step. Getting the ductwork done is something i will do soon too.

The ceilings are 10'. I'm in Baltimore.

The brick was covered in plaster, then 1x3's then panelling. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Old 03-11-03, 09:54 PM
10' ceilings could look ok, but really IMO your ceiling doesn't lend it's self to being exposed. You gotta move all that wiring, you're gonna have duct work up there, I don't know, how retro do ya wanna go?

Post you're pic & I'll take a look ttomorrow. Got another 5:30 am, so gotta hit the hay.

Old 03-12-03, 10:22 AM
brewhill
Visiting Guest
I also live in Baltimore and my ceiling looks exactly like that except that I am in the process of tearing out the plaster and lath.

I also considered exposing my ceilings but plan on drywalling instead once I update my wiring.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-03, 11:02 AM
schlitz100
Visiting Guest
cool. where in Baltimore? I'm in Canton.

I like exposed ceilings so i'm going to see how it looks. If i don't like it i will drywall over in the future.

Will post more pics tomorrow, didn't get much work done last night.

Old 03-12-03, 12:44 PM
brewhill
Visiting Guest
That's cool, we're neighbors. I'll keep an eye out for your pics. Happy renovating!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: