Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Asbestos Paranoia, popcorn cottage cheese ceilings

Asbestos Paranoia, popcorn cottage cheese ceilings

Old 03-05-03, 04:51 AM
Ancient70sHouse
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Asbestos Paranoia, popcorn cottage cheese ceilings

Pop Goes the Ceiling!!!!

For all of us who have been scared by asbestos in popcorn ceilings, as well as linoleum/vinyl flooring exposure when removing it, lets get educated--not paranoid.

Yes, asbestos is a health-hazard and it can be found throughout in the home---especially in our ugly pre-1977 popcorn, cottage-cheese, textured, cheap-motel-looking ceilings that peel and crack and stay dirty all the time.

If you can afford it, and want to remove your tainted ceilings, go ahead and hire a professional in asbestos removal. But for most of us "DoItYourselfers"---we would prefer to do it ourselves.

Those dusty, hard-to-clean ceilings can be removed as long as you do your research and take precautions, wear the proper clothes & masks, and follow the experts directions on removal and disposal--and cleanup. After all, what is a "professional" besides an educated (and licensed) "DoItYourselfer"?

Anyone who has any doubts about asbestos in the home and its removal should go to the following site (as well as other sites) and get a real education on the facts.

http://www.asbestos-institute.ca/main.html

Be sure to read the section on "Asbestos in Your Home." Read all of the 3 articles and they will give you many facts and tips.

Also, spend a few hours (or days) on the internet searching different sites and reading about safely and effectively removing the ceiling. There are many helpful people out there that will tell you how to do it--from what supplies you will need, the precautions to take, how to remove it, how to "properly" dispose of it, how to safely cleanup, how to prepare your new ceiling for its new surface (hopefully you wouldn't put new popcorn up!), and what type of paint or new texture to use. The internet is a wealth of knowledge--use it.

If you want to have your ceiling tested, you can get a "Do-It-Yourself" testing kit right here on this site (cheap!):

http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

Well, good luck with your ceilings. I have a 2-story, 5-bedroom, 2-car garage that has popcorn ceilings in everyroom...and little by little I am going to "BLOW" it away!!! (safely)

Peace and Safety to You!
Nancie

NOTE: If you do any repair or removal of popcorn ceiling material (pre-1977), be sure to spray it with water that has a few drops of DETERGENT in it---NOT JUST PLAIN WATER. Let it soak in thoroughly. The sticky soap helps "encapsulate" the fibers so they don't become airborne. Also, keep the water warm and do only small areas at a time, disposing of the wet material before continuing. Don't let the material dry out on the floor. Put down plastic to catch the excess material. DON'T VACUUM or sweep up the dust (if any)---wet mop it up (unless you have the proper Hepa vacuum cleaner with disposable bags and no dust emissions).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-03, 04:58 AM
It sounds as if you have learned that most of the hype about asbestos is simple hysteria.

Old 03-05-03, 08:01 PM
chfite

I think ya hit it on the head, except you forgot to thanks the country's lawyers, who have helped propogate this & other similar "health hazards" in the home.

Old 03-08-03, 01:14 PM
Ancient70sHouse
Visiting Guest
Asbestos Hype

chfite and awesomedell,

I sure hope we are right and that it all is just commercial/political propaganda and hysteria. Guess I'll let you know in 30 years after I take down 4002 square feet of the crumbly ugly stuff. Probably take me 30 years to do it!!!

I survived through the 60s, so I guess I can survive through this, too. Actually the 60s were great, except for the ceiling design--perhaps whoever came up with the "brilliant" popcorn design was really just still seeing the walls melt.

Old 03-08-03, 07:48 PM
Ancient70sHouse

I was just making the point that this country has gotten a bit sue happy in the past 20 yrs and it's gotten worse ever since the FTC (or FCC or Bar Assoc? whoever regulates it) started allowing lawyers to advertise on TV and billboards some years back.

Old 03-08-03, 08:05 PM
Ancient70sHouse
Visiting Guest
I Agree

Awesomedell,

You are absolutely right. Sue me, sue you. That seems to be the philosophy of the times--too bad. I wonder how anyone even keeps up with it anyway? One day something is okay for you, then the next day it is the greatest thing since birth, then the next day its gonna kill you, and then the next week they say, "No, it won't kill you, it is good for your heart." How does anyone have time to sue anyone? By the time you get a case going, the case is closed.

Go figure. Guess the lawyers figure that one out.

I was just vacuuming near the ceiling and some popcorn fell on my head. Guess I am going to croak soon. Guess I better track down the guy that applied it in 1972 and sue the pants off him. (Only kidding!!!).

Take care.