Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How to remove skim coat/spackle from a tounge and groove wall

How to remove skim coat/spackle from a tounge and groove wall

Old 03-06-03, 08:41 AM
roga9090
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How to remove skim coat/spackle from a tounge and groove wall

In the day room of the home I purchased it seems that the previous owner didn't like the tounge and groove wall. ( I believe it is "wormy maple" that is what the neighboring houses have and the type of wood they say it is)
It seems the previous owner used some kind of skim coat or spackle to fill in the grooves, then painted the walls.
I would like to get back to the wood finish if possible. but getting the material out of the grooves seems to be a big challange.
I have not started the project yet, I was hoping someone has encountered this and figured out the best way.

I toyed with the Idea of pulling the boards out and turning them around and finishg the backside, but the door and window cut outs would not match up and I would have to find additional wood to match. Plus the hardwood floor was installed after the wall further complicating the task.

For the flat surface I figured a heat gun and scraper, followed by sanding would do the trick, but the tounge and groove is a quandry.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 03-06-03, 08:58 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texture can be removed by spraying with water from a spray bottle and scraping it off. It is messy. A stiff brush may help with the grooves in the paneling.

If this is the typical 1/4 " paneling, I recommend being careful as the finish veneer is not all that thick. If you sand through it or gouge it, you may have to paint it in order to redeem it.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-03, 03:21 PM
If it's just a skim coat of drywall mud or plaster , the spray bottle and brush is about the best method, but it's going to be very messy like chfite mentioned. Put down some heavy plastic or else canvas to protect the floor. I thinking your wall is made of something like a 3/4"x3" or 3/4"x4" boards, not paneling right?

Old 03-06-03, 05:54 PM
roga9090
Visiting Guest
Yes you are correct. It is 3/4 inch boards various widthd. If it was thin paneling I would just rip it down. the house was built in the 50's. It's real nice wood, I can't believe someone would want to paint over it.

Old 03-06-03, 07:34 PM
Yeah I thought so, can't understand it either, but it was a fad in the early 70's, trying to look modern? Gonna be a messy job & take some time, but it can probably all be stripped off if you've got the patience. I'd stick to manageable areas like 3-4 ft squares, mist it down, you could sand it,but that would be even worse of a dusty mess.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: