Prep drywall for painting

Old 03-09-03, 06:19 PM
JimSummer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Prep drywall for painting

I removed wallpaper from my kitchen wall and would like to paint the walls. I had no problem removing the wallpaper. However, I have spent about 20 hours trying to remove the residual dried glue with warm water and sanding, with sanding being the most effective method. I have attempted to get a smooth surface by filling in with dry wall compound for painting in preparation for applying a primer coat. However, the primed areas show uneven spots where I filled and sanded. Getting a surface adequate for painting is frustrating me to the nth degree. I would appreciate any suggestions for producing a suitable surface that will not show imperfections in my sanding and patching. About all I seem to be accomplishing is creating a lot of dust. I'm frustrated almost to the point of telling my wife we are going to put paper back on - but we really do prefer to paint . Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-03, 07:23 PM
A good latex primer will allow the paint to be uniform in appearance over an otherwise smooth surface by sealing the drywall and joint compound.

If there is still some glue showing, I would recommend a sealing primer such as Zinsser to provide a more of a barrier than the typical primer might to improve the performance of the finish coat.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-03, 08:13 PM
HI Jim,

Stick to name brand products and personally, I buy paint & primer from a paint store. My guy is a Benjamin Moore dealer, but there are several other reputible brands.

I know a couple of folks that work for a national company, on the line making paint everyday. They tell me there is a definite difference in the quality of product that's turned out for their company's label vs. what is produced for other labels. That's not to say that the paint you buy from a department store or discount chain isn't good paint, just that what you get from a paint dealer is better.

That my 2 cents worth.

Good luck.