New drywall or repair

Old 03-12-03, 09:36 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New drywall or repair

We have a small bathroom which is the only one we have and my wife wants me to remove all the simulated tile paneling that the prior owner put up on all four walls. I also have to replace the bathtub wall surround which was never installed correctly and looks like crap. The wall surround was also glued to the old ceramic tile which is glued to the drywall.
I already removed a small portion of paneling and in doing so I also tore up the drywall pretty bad.
Being that the room is only 5x9, I was wondering if it would be best just to tear all the drywall out (walls only) and replace it with new drywall. I've got a feeling that I would have to do it around the tub anyway, so why not the whole room.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-03, 05:57 PM
C
Why not. It may be easier in a small room to replace it all rather than patch. Use the waterproof board around the tub/shower area.

Old 03-14-03, 05:26 AM
Yeah I'd tear that out and replace the drywall myself. If you're gonna retile in there, I'd use CBU where the tile will be going around the tub, I'm not a big fan of MR drywall (greenboard) If it gets wet consisently, it turn to mush just like the white stuff. Main thing is in any bathroom remodel, if there's not exhaust fan, put one in!! You gotta get that moisture out or else you're gonna have problems down the road. JMO

Old 03-14-03, 08:01 AM
N
Thanks for the advice

I'm going to put a 5 piece wall surround in place of the one piece. As for the fan I just replaced the one that was in there with a higher volume one and it's been working great.
I had to change projects for a day because my water heater starting going out, but now that that's done and I've got a couple of good responses to my post, I can start ripping things out. Oh what joy.

Old 03-15-03, 05:51 PM
Look at the bright side, it'll save all that $$ on anger management classes.

Old 03-15-03, 11:45 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I always look at large areas of damaged wall as an oppurtunity to run wiring, check heating and plumbing, and to add/augment insulation.

Old 03-16-03, 04:17 PM
N
awesomedell

thats for sure, and with a thirteen year old daughter, 24 year old son, 3 year old grandson and my wife I need to get it done as quickly as possible to avoid bodly injury.
I am going to take this time to fix some plumbing and move a light fixture.
I told the family that since the snow has melted they can use the hose in the backyard. That didn't go over very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: