Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

DRYWALL SEAMS - why not Horizontal? Urgent answer needed!!

Old 03-13-03, 11:27 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow I have to order my drywall delivery for my basement
My basement measures 19ft by 18.2 ft. and 92" high.
I originally planned to drywall the walls horizontally (two 4 x 10's)....all the way around. That way I only have one long seem to mud. However, my "carpenter helper" wants to do 4x8's vertically......he says he asked a professional remodeler and they indicate it's a big "no no" to have a horizontal seam all the way around the room and that somehow it's more "visible" even after mudding, etc.
HELP - anyone have any suggestions, advice????

Thanks
Sandy

Old 03-13-03, 01:18 PM
dickh
Visiting Guest
horizontal is the way to go. but you might want to measure the 19' wall again. the only way i can see 2 10' ers working on that wall the butt joints will have to be floor to ceiling. you want to stagger those. i would go with 2 12' and 2 8' on that wall.
how noticable the seams are is strictly a matter of how good a job you do mudding and taping.

Old 03-13-03, 04:47 PM
randalg
Visiting Guest
Most residential houses are hung horizontally, commercial work is hung vertically. I've found it much easier to cut boxes out when the sheetrock is horizontal. Most of the time, your boxes won't be in your butt joints. If for some reason your studs aren't plumb, your sheetrock won't break on a stud. Plus, it's a lot easier to finish one 19ft and a couple butts joints than 5 floor to ceiling joints. If you take your time, you should be able to finish the joints where no one can see them. I agree with dickh, 2 12's and 2 8's. Good luck!

Old 03-13-03, 05:42 PM
They're steering ya on the right track there Sandy. I do walls & floors for a living,

If I was hanging this room, I'd order 8 12 footers and 8 - 8 footers for the walls, ceiling is already done? or ya going with a drop ceiling?

Last edited by awesomedell; 03-13-03 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 06:11 AM
S
Ceiling

I am doing drywall for the celing. Renting a panel lift this evening. My joists are perfect, or perfect enough and there is no plumbing or duct work in the way. I just can't deal with the look of suspended celing.
This has got the be the best forum on the web! Everyone has been so helpful. I enjoy remodeling and doing my own work but was intimidated cuz of lack of knowledge. You sure can learn alot here.
THANKS EVERYONE!! .....
SAndy

Old 03-15-03, 08:06 PM
Hey Sandy, good luck w/the panel lift. Personally I use the one on top of my head, Listen when you're doin your ceiling, just to save you're self some aggrivation, after the first sheet is up and hopefuly squared up with both sides. Measure at both sides of the sheet, make sure you get the same measurement on both sides. Remember to stagger the joints, and sink your screws, you'll thank yourself when you're finishing. Let us know how things turn out or post back if ya run into problems. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: