Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall outside corner bead??

Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 12:22 PM   #1  
Jean (from PA)
drywall outside corner bead??

I have an urgent question!
My husband is a first time installer of drywall and is having a problem with the outside corners.
He already installed the metal for outside corners (didn't know they had tape with metal imbedded).

I have bought "many" books for instructions on our projects but they don't always explain things in total detail.

It said not to cover the bead with the joint compound so he didn't. The thing they forgot to mention is if and when you do cover the beaded edge!!
I am pretty sure this must be done at some point because I wouldn't think you paint over the metal.

If anyone can help and give an answer to this problem please let me know as soon as possible!!

I also think if I am right and the bead does get cover at some point how do you get the joint compound to stick to the metal??
Up until I read about it in my book he had already tried to cover it but it kept showing through and that was when I checked my books (men don't read-LOL)

JEAN (from PA)

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 04:03 PM   #2  
randalg
Jean,
Once you have nailed your corner bead on, you can cover it with a coat of mud. I usually use a 6" knife for the first coat. If the bead shows through the first coat, that is ok. You will have to put at least two more coats on. Just use a larger knife with each coat. I will start at the top and put a layer on both sides of the corner. I go about 3/4 of the way down the corner. Feather each outside edge and then hold your knife on a nice angle and let the blade of your knife rest on the outside edge of the corner bead. A nice smooth stroke should give you a nice surface. Then do the bottom, just the opposite. Go from the floor up into the wet part you just did. Don't worry about the small ridge left, scrape that off later when it dries. Hope this helps!

Randy

MO

03-13-03, 05:14 PM   #3  
Good advice randalg, that's exactly how I do metal corner bead when I run into it. Really like the slop box corner bead myself and it's what I specify on all my jobs.

Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 05:41 PM   #4  
randalg
awesome, what's a slop box corner bead? I just finished a rounded doorway and used the plastic corner bead. Worked ok, but had some problems getting all those tabs to lay down around outside corner. Any tips on putting up the plastic beads?

NC

03-13-03, 05:59 PM   #5  
Here's an illustrated article from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine on drywall taping and mudding that might help you:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/200104...s/dt/main.html
Good Luck!
Mike

Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 09:18 PM   #6  
Jean (from PA)
Plastic Outside Corner

Originally posted by randalg
awesome, what's a slop box corner bead? I just finished a rounded doorway and used the plastic corner bead. Worked ok, but had some problems getting all those tabs to lay down around outside corner. Any tips on putting up the plastic beads?

My husband knocked out the wall between our Dr & LR to make a Greatroom. The metal corner bead was used for the straight sides but for the arch at the top he had to use the plastic so it would flex.
If the plastic doesn't lay flat you must slit it at several locations to get it to arch more and lay flat.
Our arch wasn't a real hard curve so we didn't have to do that. We did do it around tile which we curved on the floor and it worked good (pathway from main door, around LR carpet and to DR).
JEAN (from PA)

Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 09:35 PM   #7  
Jean (from PA)
edge of corner bead

Originally posted by randalg
Jean,
Once you have nailed your corner bead on, you can cover it with a coat of mud. I usually use a 6" knife for the first coat. If the bead shows through the first coat, that is ok. You will have to put at least two more coats on. Just use a larger knife with each coat. I will start at the top and put a layer on both sides of the corner. I go about 3/4 of the way down the corner. Feather each outside edge and then hold your knife on a nice angle and let the blade of your knife rest on the outside edge of the corner bead. A nice smooth stroke should give you a nice surface. Then do the bottom, just the opposite. Go from the floor up into the wet part you just did. Don't worry about the small ridge left, scrape that off later when it dries. Hope this helps!

Randy

Randy,
I'm not sure if I stated my question correctly or not.
The area I am referring to is the bead "edge", not the flat sections on each side of the walls.
The rounded metal lip (?) or bead that is raised and the knife lays against at the corner, not on the flat part of the walls.

He did put the mud on the flat sides that get nailed, like the books said.
The metal at the "rounded" area protecting the corner shows and I was wondering if that also gets mud on it ( the actual area you would bump against if you walked into the corner).
It is higher than the flat parts and rounded.

The books say to use it to rest the outer edge of your knife but never says if you also put mud on ithat part or let the metal edge show.
Hope I explained it right this time.
JEAN (from PA)

AZ

03-13-03, 10:04 PM   #8  
Jean,

No mud per say stays on the round outsdie corner. It is a guide when applying the joint compound and it is paintable. You guys are doing fine!

http://www.doityourself.com/wall/jointcompound.htm
(Note that the corner is actually exposed in Fig. P. The mud fills the gap that will be present due to it protruding out.

http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...35693867#watch (nice video - you'll see what i mean here)

Hope this helped!

Visiting Guest

03-13-03, 10:32 PM   #9  
Jean (from PA)
corner bead

Originally posted by Doug Aleshire
Jean,

No mud per say stays on the round outsdie corner. It is a guide when applying the joint compound and it is paintable. You guys are doing fine!

http://www.doityourself.com/wall/jointcompound.htm
(Note that the corner is actually exposed in Fig. P. The mud fills the gap that will be present due to it protruding out.

http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_...35693867#watch (nice video - you'll see what i mean here)

Hope this helped!

Doug,
Yes, you were very helpful.
Thanks allot, everyone!!

JEAN (from PA)

MO

03-14-03, 04:13 AM   #10  
Jean,

That rounded bead on the metal corners usually is showing some when you're done mudding, don't worry it will prime & painr just fine. Trick is to rest your knife on that and feather out the corner. Sounds like ya got it figured out.

randalg-

You'll have to visit a drywall supply place to get the slopbox corners. It's pre-formed for outside corners, It has a solid metal bead corner, with a paper tape over the outside. You run it through a slopbox, which looks like a hopper gun, but has a "V" slot in the bottom that you run the corner through, then you sick it on your corner, use you corner roller to roll it down then skim off the excess with a knife.

The way I do archways is to cut the drywall to width, and cut it about 2-3inches over length, better to be long than short. Now your wet the strip down, I've laid it in puddles on the patio before, you want it to get wet enough to make it flexible. Once ya got it wet you bend it into the rough shape of the arch, and I tie a piece of string around it to hold the shape. Let it dry like that and then apply to your arch. I don't use the plastic beads for the corners, I use a product called flextape, available from the big box, comes in a white box, it's 2" tape with 2 thin metal beads attached to tape. It's made for that sort of application, or like where a vaulted ceiling meets a wall.

Search this Thread