Wall Insulation

Old 03-13-03, 02:33 PM
TheOnlyHammer
Visiting Guest
Wall Insulation

Here's the background: Bought a house where they knocked down a wall into the garage to build a breakfast nook. 8x6 approx.

Here's the problem: The wood/vinyl tile floor has rotted against the wall closest to the garage. The drywall is also showing signs of water/mositure damage. It's time to repair and add ceramic tiles to the floor.

Here's the question: I'm double checking the insulation used in the wall between garage and room. Want to replace it and replace the drywall. Since there appears to be damage related to moisture I was thinking of using a vapor barrier. I just don't know what side the vapor barrier should go on - the outside in the garage or the inside under the drywall, or both? Your comments would be greatly apprecated. By the way, I live in a Buffalo NY in the cooler climate regions.

Thanks

Old 03-13-03, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Hammer,
Welcome to the forum. Moisture barrier goes under the drywall on the heated side of the wall. Post back if ya got anymore ??'s.

When you rebuild your wall you'll want to use treated lumber for your base plate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: