new basement wall

Old 03-19-03, 11:36 AM
smyle99
Visiting Guest
new basement wall

I am trying to build a new wall in basement. I am trying to separate a finished area with the TV and the area where my washer/dryer is. (The lighting is already on a separate switch.) I just need to put up a wall between a cement wall and an interior wall with sheet rock already up. It will span about 8'. I would like to also install a door in this wall, but other than that the wall wouldn't need much support. Is this something an amateur can do? What type of tools and material are needed.

Old 03-19-03, 07:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smyle99

Hello & welcome to the forum. Yes. I'd say this is a project that a DIYer can do provided you can read a tape & a level & drive a nail, and have some basic carpentry knowledge. You'll need to determine where your studs are in that sheetrock wall, to figure where you can tie in at, and I'd suggest renting something like a hilti to attach your base plate to the concrete floor and to the cement wall.

In short if you're fairly handy, I'd say yeah go for it, if on the other hand, you don't know a speed square from a drywall square, you'll either need to educate yourself or hire this project out.

If you think ya want to tackle this yourself, post back with some more details & I think we could talk ya through it. Hope this help ya make a decision.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: