Garage Access Panel for Storage

Old 03-18-03, 06:03 AM
Question Garage Access Panel for Storage

Hello everyone... I am looking to start a new project in the next few days and would like to get some input. We have a 3 story townhome that has a 2 car garage. Like many, we are really in need of some additional storage space. I have been considering adding an access panel/door that would provide access to some space directly under our first flight of stairs. The problem is, I'm not sure where to start. I've not done much drywall work besides some patching here and there. I have no intention of removing any of the studwork, I would just like to basically cut a fairly large rectangular hole in the drywall and replace it with a hinged door (but I would like it to look professional, so I would like to surround it with casing trim).

Here is a picture - the wall of interest is marked with a red arrow - ignore the car (which is for sale by the way!) The panel would be fairly wide, and as tall as I can make it without interfering with the shelving above.

Any suggesstions/direction would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-03, 03:19 PM
randalg
Visiting Guest
Pitt,
You said you didn't want to remove any stubs for your access door. You should check that space with a stud finder. It should have the studs on 16" centers. That will mean your opening will have to fit between the studs. That's not going to be a very big opening. You could find the "middle" stud of the area where the door will be and remove that stud. I would lay out where the door will be, cut the sheetrock . Be careful incase there are wires running in area. You can then cut the stud and put a 2 x 4 header on top and bottom the height you want the opening to be. Finish inside with 3/4 board flush with sheetrock. Put casing around and make a door to fit finish opening. This is how I did some access holes in my friends house.

Old 03-18-03, 07:27 PM
Hi Pitt,

Randalg is making a good point. Your studs are going to be on 16" centers there, and you're going to have to do some reframing in order to do this, but it could be done.

But before you go tearing out walls & reframing headers & door frames, a thought. How far past this wall is the foot of the steps? From what I'm looking at in the picture, there appears to be maybe 4'-5' tops. Kind of difficult w/o knowing the layout of the place to make that determination from here. What I'm meaning here is simply, is the added storage room, going to be worth the effort & expense that's going to be needed to do this & make it look good.

Food for thought. Post back if you still want to do this & we'll try to help ya get through it. Or maybe come up with some other options.

Old 03-20-03, 05:18 AM
Thanks both for the responses. It is a fairly small space randalg, but amazingly it is about the only space available! I am primarily looking to store paint cans and other miscellaneous items that are currently on my garage floor, as well as some other various items. Plus I kind of like the idea of a challenge.

I will let you know how it goes !

Old 03-21-03, 09:17 PM
What's above the garage? If it's unused space, might think about cutting in an access to it . This might be easier than reframing that wall, & would probably give you more storage room.

Keep us in the loop, & good luck.