How to hang drywall?

Old 03-19-03, 06:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to hang drywall?

My basement left stairwell wall is a poured cement wall but it looks like they framed the stairs withouth enough room to actually hang drywall on the wall. they hung drywall where they could but left the cement wall bare. Looks like my only option is to use something like Liquid Nails...I really don't want to do that...I would have to imagine that I will see moisture problems, not to mention it should be a code violation.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-22-03, 06:28 PM
A
I am in exactly the same situation. I figured I would paint the wall and hope it looks OK. Kind of takes away from the all the attention to detail I am paying to the rest of the basement.

Aaron

Old 03-23-03, 04:11 PM
Hi guys,

If you need to attach drywall to a cement wall, the easiest way to do this is to attach hat channel with a masonry fastening tool to the concrete wall & then screw your drywall to the channel. We do this in commercial bldgs all the time.

Old 04-05-03, 03:55 AM
B
Originally posted by awesomedell
Hi guys,

If you need to attach drywall to a cement wall, the easiest way to do this is to attach hat channel with a masonry fastening tool to the concrete wall & then screw your drywall to the channel. We do this in commercial bldgs all the time.
What is hat channel? What kind of moisture problems will I have?

Old 04-06-03, 06:46 AM
Hat channel is made of steel, and is attached to the wall, your drywall is then attached to it.

Did a quick search on google & found a decent picture at this site;

http://www.marinoware.com/productDet...ring%20Channel

You'll probablly have to check your local phone bk for a drywall or sheetrock supply store to get your hands on this, don't think it's sold at the big box stores. If your concrete wall gets damp at all, I'd think about putting a layer of poly behind the channel.

You could also use treated 1"x4" for your furring, again thiese should be anchored to the cement wall with either tapcons or by using a hilti or similiar powder charged fastner. In dry climates I have seen drywall simply glued to concrete with drywall adhesive, but you've got to really put it on thick & press the sheet firmly to the wall for a few minutes until the adhesive begins to set up. Like I said I've seen this done, but personally I would want my drywall screwed to something rather than just glued.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: