Half wall

Old 03-20-03, 06:06 PM
rotorjock
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Half wall

I'm in the process of finishing three rooms in my basement. I have one room finished, and all the outside walls in the second room done. However, I intend to create a half height wall to semi-divide two sections of that room. What is the prefered height of a half wall, and how do I brace it so that it is sturdy enough for someone to lean on it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-03, 07:14 PM
Hello rotojock,

I won't even ask about that handle, anyway welcome to the fray, let's see if we can getya on the right track here. Generally, subwalls of the type you're talking about are somewhere between 36" abd 42" assuming this is on a flat floor.

As to properly securing ths wall, it needs to be securely fastened to both the floor joists and the end of the wall should be secured to a wall stud.

Post back if you need further clarification. Good luck & keep us in the loop.

Old 03-21-03, 05:41 AM
rotorjock
Visiting Guest
First, the handle is because I'm a helicopter pilot. Sorry to disappoint you.
As for the wall. I have no problem anchoring it to the floor, and I have no problem attaching it to the wall on one side. However, this wall ends 8 feet later with nothing to anchor it to. It has much more asthetic value than structure. The end away from the wall is free standing. That's why I'm having trouble engineering the strength. Does that help clarify what I'm trying to do? By the way, I had originally figured on 32" high, which would allow some limited sitting on it. 36" might make it a little difficult to sit on, but may also make it less needy of super strength. Something for me to think about.

Old 03-21-03, 09:14 PM
Helicopter pilot, now that makes perfect sense. Didn't mean to offend. Never did get to drive one, but I've repelled out of quite a few. Was in the AF with the 20th SOS, back in my youth.

I guess I was picturing more or a semi-divieder wall, usually wrapped in drywall with some fancy stacked molding on the top. Use long screws instead of nails to secure the wall, that'll give you better stability, if the framed wall is pretty sturdy, the sheetrock will really stiffen it up alot.

Old 03-22-03, 05:55 AM
rotorjock
Visiting Guest
Never offended. I enjoy having folks use their imagination trying to figure that handle out.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll also try to strengthen it by using 2 X 8's instead of a pair of 2 X 4's. That way the only weak spot will be the joint. It will lbe wrapped in drywall, and I will put a top and molding on it. Some carpet squares (I can't get a full roll doqn the stairway) and tiled ceiling and I'll have my exercise room done.

Great forum, I'll be back often.

Old 03-23-03, 04:15 PM
Glad we could help rotor, stop by anytime, we're always open. I try to check in everyday.