Wall/Ceiling joint

Old 03-22-03, 06:41 AM
Wall/Ceiling joint

Quick question: I've just finished hanging the drywall in my hallway. I'm going to be installing crown molding. Is there any reason I should tape and mud the ceiling/wall joint since it's going to be covered anyway? Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-03, 07:47 AM
wall/ceiling joint

Do you need the practice? Are you in an area that requires an inspection at this stage? Those and as a preventative for bug intrusion are about the only reasons I can think of. Unless you think in a few years you might not like the crown molding and decide then to take it down.
slumlordfrank

Old 03-22-03, 08:28 AM
No and no; and I think I'd rather just caulk behind the crown to keep out "critters." Don't think I'll get tired of the crown. I think it makes a "statement," (even if that statement is that I didn't want to tape the joint!) Thanks! Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some reasoning that I was missing.

Old 03-23-03, 04:18 PM
Long as you don't have to deal with an inspector, it'll be fine caulked. Good luck with the crown molding. Are you using the traditional wood molding or are you going with the pre-fabbed corners?

Old 03-23-03, 05:40 PM
Actually I used pre-formed corners in my computer room that I found at HD. Not exactly sure how to describe them, they have the same profile as the crown, but are thicker that make a nice shadow line, very nice architectural detail. I originally used them simply because they were faster and easier than coping crown, but have since decided that I really like them better than a "plain" corner joint. Here's an URL to an image of the corner: http://www.rosehawke.com/assets/imag...etailthumb.jpg (I hate this. Apparently there is no way to keep my posting from putting in useless vB coding )

Old 03-25-03, 04:21 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about w/o even looking at the posted link. IMO best thing since sliced bread. Like you said a whole lot easier & faster that coping the crown corners,

Search this Thread