plastering over hard coat

Old 03-24-03, 07:36 PM
vesel
Visiting Guest
Question plastering over hard coat

we're redoing our kitchen ceiling and walls, we have an old house and now they have a hard slick coat on them. the bottom half of walls have the look of tile grooved in them. want to know how to prepare walls before plastering. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-03, 04:33 AM
Hi vesel, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like maybe you've got marolite, (probably spelled that wrong) on the walls there now.

If it was me, I'd hang 1/2" drywall right over that. Then you can either smooth finish it, or apply a textured finish.

Hope that helps you. If not post back & we'll see what we can come up with.

Old 05-07-03, 11:46 AM
vesel
Visiting Guest
plastering over hardcoat

i had previously asked about plastering over a hard coat that is in our kitchen and was told to put up half inch drywall, i don't really want to do that. just need to know how to do it on the hard coat

Old 05-08-03, 04:09 AM
If you're planning on using joint compound (drywall mud) for your "plastering" that stuff will stick to nearly any surface. If your wall currently has a real slick finish, you might want to rough it up with some sand paper before starting the mud coat. Sorry if I misunderstood the question the first time around, but what you were describing sounded like marolite panels to me with the brick pattern. Good luck.