Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

plastering over hard coat

Visiting Guest

03-24-03, 07:36 PM   #1  
vesel
plastering over hard coat

we're redoing our kitchen ceiling and walls, we have an old house and now they have a hard slick coat on them. the bottom half of walls have the look of tile grooved in them. want to know how to prepare walls before plastering. thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

03-25-03, 04:33 AM   #2  
Hi vesel, and welcome to the forum. Sounds like maybe you've got marolite, (probably spelled that wrong) on the walls there now.

If it was me, I'd hang 1/2" drywall right over that. Then you can either smooth finish it, or apply a textured finish.

Hope that helps you. If not post back & we'll see what we can come up with.

Visiting Guest

05-07-03, 11:46 AM   #3  
vesel
plastering over hardcoat

i had previously asked about plastering over a hard coat that is in our kitchen and was told to put up half inch drywall, i don't really want to do that. just need to know how to do it on the hard coat

MO

05-08-03, 04:09 AM   #4  
If you're planning on using joint compound (drywall mud) for your "plastering" that stuff will stick to nearly any surface. If your wall currently has a real slick finish, you might want to rough it up with some sand paper before starting the mud coat. Sorry if I misunderstood the question the first time around, but what you were describing sounded like marolite panels to me with the brick pattern. Good luck.

Search this Thread