Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

popcorn ceiling painted with semi gloss paint

popcorn ceiling painted with semi gloss paint

Old 04-02-03, 12:36 PM
Peggy53p
Visiting Guest
Unhappy popcorn ceiling painted with semi gloss paint

The popcorn ceiling in the living/dining area has been painted with semi-gloss paint. It has several hairline cracks, the paper between the joints is dryed out and coming loose and someone tried to "caulk" a large crack, (looks like someone step down from the attic but didnt break completely through). How would you handle this? Have no idea how long it has been up, but the semi-gloss paint has a good hold on it. Do I sand it then apply some kind of texture or what???? I need, well okay want an easy solution. Can anyone help?

Old 04-02-03, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Peggy,

Welcome to the forums. Well I can't promise this will be easy, & I can definitely promise it won't be neat!

But from your description of the situation, I'd say the thing to do would be first scrap off the popcorn texture, then cut out the spot where someone walked thru the attic, patch it back in with a piece of drywall, & retape it, & skim coat it. Then have it reshot & knockdown.

If you're an industrious DIYer, take on the project yourself, if not, hire it out. A good pro could do this in 2 days with minimum fuss, but ALOT of dust. Best of luck. Post back if you want to tackle it & have additional questions.

Old 04-02-03, 11:52 PM
Peggy53p
Visiting Guest
popcorn ceiling painted with semi-gloss paint

Okay awesomedell... I'm up to the challenge! Question: How do you scrap a popcorn ceiling that has been painted? And I want the popcorn gone. The house was built in the 50's and the previous owner only did the ceilings in the Living room and Dining room and part of the main hall. (One continuous ceiling). Don't ask me what he was thinking. Any ideals will help since I will be working around my 72 year old mother. I know it will be messy, but dont have the mula to have it done. Besides, I can do this!
Thanks for being here, great homepage,
Peggy

Old 04-03-03, 04:59 AM
ok Peggy, I figured an Okie would be up most anything. You're gonna have to scrape that popcorn off. I use a knockdown paddle for this task, but a regular 12" drywall tape blade will also work just as well.

It'd probably be a good idea to keep your Mom in a different room while you're doing this phase and wear a dust mask yourself if you can stand the things, I only wear them when I got to, (like when I workin somewhere that one of them nasty OSHA pukes is liable to show up) because I hate them things, always makes me feel like I'm being suffocated.

Anyway, first thing I do is mist down an area with water, use a mist spray bottle like you'd use on your flowers, then let it stand for a few minutes, then climb up there & start scraping. Take it slow, and try not to dig or gouge into the face paper of your sheetrock. Also be prepared, as you're gonna find some new muscles that you forgot that you had. Move or cover furniture, & definitely if these rooms have carpet, cover them completely with plastic, old sheets or blankets. Like I said it's very messy job.

How are you going to refinish the ceiling? You want to go to a smooth finish, or are you wanting to come back with some kind of textured finish?

Post back & let me know how things are going or if you have more questions. Gotta hit the road, need to stop for breakfast this AM, gotta hang a 22 ft vaulted ceiling this morning, so I gonna need to have my wheaties.

Old 04-03-03, 05:31 PM
Peggy53p
Visiting Guest
painted popcorn ceiling

Hey Asomedell ~
I found this "stuff" called Mean Green. Cheap too! It's a degreaser, but will take paint off. I tried it and it works. So the plan is to mist the ceiling with my Mean Green, let it set for about 10 minutes then scrape, scrape, scrape. The room is about a 22' X 24'. Watch for me in the Miss Universe contest, I'll be the lilly white old lady with all the muscles! I'll keep you informed.
Thanks again.

Old 04-04-03, 04:16 AM
Yeah Peggy, Mean Green is a good product, never heard of it stripping paint, but go for it. We used to use it for degreasing kitchens prior to repaint, but I found a product that works better & is cheaper, it's called Awesome & in my area it's dist. by the Dollar General Stores.

Anyway go for it with the MG, good luck, & don't overdo it, scraping that ceiling will take a toll on the shoulders if you're not accustomed to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: