"Smoke" film on drywall

Old 04-03-03, 07:13 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Smoke" film on drywall

I installed drywall to a rental unit - cathedral ceilings - Tenant smokes heavily and burns candles all the time (don't suggest eviction, she's an inlaw)

There's a film on sheetrock - most notably the upper seams and screw heads are visible and look like black dots - you can't feel them - they're not popping - I'ts been suggested (by my brother a sheetrocker for some 25 years) that its a reaction to the wax from candle wicks and the excessive smoking. A contractor I know said he had this same problem caused by a tenant and sued them for it (and won).

You can actully feel the film - and trying to wipe with a damp rag just "smears" the film.

I'm hesitant to repaint as I feel the condition will continue as long as she's there, but hate to see the home in this condition.

Will KILZ or a similar product cover this? It's also been suggested that I use a product called fire brick (which I've never heard of) and "sand walls" with it.

Old 04-03-03, 09:18 AM
C
Kilz and Zinsser both make a product for covering smoke damage. It will seal in the soot and the odor. Then you can paint.

Old 04-03-03, 09:48 AM
K
"smoke" film on drywall

Thanks Chris - I'll give it a go!

Kathy

Old 04-04-03, 04:24 AM
I'd suggest getting the smoke film off the drywall before repainting. Two products I've found that work for this situation, I was just mentioning to Peggy another thread. Mean Green or Awesome, both will cut smoke film when used at a slightly dliuted strength. Best of luck. God don't you just love out-laws, I mean in-laws.

Old 04-04-03, 09:33 AM
K
"Smoke" film on drywall calculate area?

So I should remove smoke film, apply a Kilz like product and repaint and throw out the in-law (I wish).

Is there any paint that is more resistant to this type of film or perhaps a high quality air filter/smoke eater (as they call them in bars) that I can utilize? The main floor is approx. 14 x 38 w/ cathedrals (I'm guessing) 14 - 15 ' to peak)

Any math wizards out there that can calculate the area so I can price appropriate size units?

I just about made it through basic college math!

Kathy

Old 04-04-03, 06:12 PM
C
An eggshell or semi-gloss would be easier to clean than a flat paint.

The room would be approximately 5580 cubic feet with a 15 foot peak cathedral ceiling.

The film is most likely from the candles since they gutter all the time.

Old 04-05-03, 02:34 AM
Hi Kathy,

Here's a link to a good project calculator on the net. They have these set up for paint, drywall carpet, about anything. You just fill in the blanks as to width & height, etc click calc, & it does the rest for you.

http://www.improvenet.com/projecttools/calc/paint.html#

Good luck.

Old 04-05-03, 07:58 AM
K
smoke film on drywall- Thanks

The calculator will really come in handy as I will (hopefully) be insulating/drywalling my garage to convert it to living space!

Thanks again - Kathy

Old 04-05-03, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

If worse comes to worse, you can paint Kilz directly over the smoke stain film., although it would be better to clean it off. I have even seen Kilz used to seal charred wood from a minor house fire (it worked).
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-06-03, 07:14 PM
Kilz is good stuff, works great for covering up water stains on textured ceilings also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: