Recurring cracks in drywall

Old 04-03-03, 08:53 AM
Recurring cracks in drywall

I have catherdral ceilings and have to reccurring cracks
one is in corner of ceiling where sheets meet, the other appears to be "following" seam in 2 seperate pieces of drywall. I've fixed them twice and am afraid that I'll need to do more then tape and "patch" in order to prevent them from reappearing.

I was hoping that there was some sort of flexible material perhaps a caulk that would allow movement w/o constantly cracking - any ideas?

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-03, 09:32 AM
When you repaired the crack following the seam, did you remove the old tape or just spackle over the crack?

Old 04-03-03, 11:08 AM
recurring cracks in drywall

On the corner tape was removed, seam cleared of spackle/debris on the crack in mid section I only sanded a bit for adherance and filled and taped. Its the corner that is currently "recracked".

Would the flexible (webbed type) tape be a better application for corner?

Its been suggested that I should remove corner sheetrock and perhaps place an additional beam there and kind of "cap the corner - I am looking for an easier way as I'd have to "cap" at least 2 other corners in room so they'd match. I'm also considering putting wood molding over corners which will hide the problem (not correct it) and may not look very good.

Kathy

Old 04-03-03, 11:18 AM
The mesh tape is stronger, in my experience, and less likely to fail from minor movement. It is worth a try over a more involved solution.

Old 04-04-03, 03:10 AM
I'd agree with Chris, give the fibertape a try (mesh tape) Another question though, is there any flex to the edge of the sheets of drywall where these cracks reoccur? If so either screw or nail them securely down prior to retaping.

Good luck.