Taping and mudding inside corners

Old 04-04-03, 06:36 PM
mcbaldylocks
Visiting Guest
Taping and mudding inside corners

OK, so I've hung my drywall, taped and mudded the inside corner (1 coat) and let it dry. I've knocked down high spots and lightly sanded.
Now HOW do I keep the inside corners from looking like cr@p on the second coat?
And it's not so much in the middle of the wall, it's where the wall meets the ceiling. It's impossible to make it a clean intersection.

Is there a special technique to get this done?

By the way, I'm NOT covering the ceiling with any sort of texture, so I would like this to be semi-clean.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-03, 06:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are using a corner tool, practice. If not, practice or get a corner tool. Remember that sandpaper is your friend.

Old 04-04-03, 07:23 PM
randalg
Visiting Guest
When I do corners, I put a coat of mud on one side of the corner at a time. If you are looking at the corner, you would finish the side of the corner on your left, the ceiling of the same side of that wall and finally the bottom part of the wall to your right. If you flip-flop this way, you are not working against wet mud. I use a 4" knife. If you leave a small ridge on the opposite side of the corner, just let it dry and scrape it off. I have never tried those "corner tools". This was the way I was taught. This way you can get into the corner without making a mess. They come out nice, with very little sanding. Hope this helps!

Old 04-04-03, 09:00 PM
mcbaldylocks
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-06-03, 07:16 PM
I'd recommend using the corner tool.

Old 04-07-03, 02:51 PM
S
McBaldy: Looks like trial and error. I tried the corner tool 2x and threw it away. It puts on wicked thick goofy seams for me. I then went to the one edge at a time so your "travel surface" (that the knife is guided by) is a dry mud surface.

Its gonna be trial and error. I would try the corner trowel (inexpensive at home depot or other) and see how it is flowing. If you are not happy while its wet, remove the mud with a knife (4 inch or 5 inch) and then try it 1 edge at a time with a flat knife. Then later you can knock down the "lip" and feather it out. peace: e3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: