strange drywall question

Old 04-04-03, 07:35 PM
plausible
Visiting Guest
strange drywall question

I have heard of mixing joint compound (mud) with paint. Can one apply more mud on top of paint? Also what is the point of the paint/mud mixture?
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-03, 11:40 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
If the paint is bonded well, you can apply mud over it. There are bonding compounds, but it usually sticks without a problem. Mixing paing into a plaster skim coat is to skip painting.

Old 04-06-03, 06:27 PM
They usually are just mixing the primer coat in with the skim mud, then you're ready for finish paint.

Old 04-08-03, 08:12 AM
dickh
Visiting Guest
as far as mixing paint with joint compound goes i had a buddy who wanted to do that and since that wasn't the way i learned to do it, i spent a couple of days researching. sounds like such a good idea, texture and prime in the same step. i finally found a joint compound website that had an answer guy on staff and was told that they recommended no more than a 1 to 4 ratio of paint to water in their product. bet i don't have to tell you what the paint company thought of diluting 1 gal of their paint with 3-4 gal of water. then i talked to a professional painter. he told me to prime before texturing because joint compound and paper have different porousities and the texture will dry at different rates which can cause shadowing in the right light. his recomendation is prime, texture, prime again and then paint. primer sticks to the surface and paint sticks to the primer. now having said all that, i have to tell you that my buddy decided to mix the paint and joint compound anyway (because he was in a hurry and hates to paint) and his job turned out fine, but i have read in this forum of others that did not.

Old 04-09-03, 08:14 PM
The old school painters I know do things exactly as DickH described, because that's the way they learned & they're not gonna change. They also still roll & brush all their paint & wouldn't dream of using a spray rig. My finish guys mix the primer in with the mud & the painter loves it, & I love it too, less he paints, cheaper his bill.

Old 05-17-07, 10:32 AM
Wink Mixing paint and Joint compound?

Mixing paint with joint compound is for stomping the ceiling. Ratio is 1 quart paint to 5 gallons of compound. It may eliminate the need to paint the ceiling.

Search this Thread