Rehanging over acoustic ceiling

Old 04-08-03, 01:30 PM
randalg
Visiting Guest
Question Rehanging over acoustic ceiling

I am going to be replacing the ceiling in a old house. The acoustic tile ceiling was put up over furring strips directly attached to the ceiling joist. There is no ceiling under the tiles, just blown in insulation. I am planning on screwing furring strips along the ceiling joist, then rehanging and texturing the ceiling. My question is: Can I use 3/8 rock, since it won't have any insulation about it or should I use 1/2? The joist are on 16" centers. Thanks!

Old 04-09-03, 06:37 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations are generally for 5/8" rock on the ceiling to prevent sagging. Some places have codes that require this.

Old 04-09-03, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding from some quick reseach using google search, is that Va has adopted a statewide bldg code based on the BOCA national codes. Might want to check out this site http://www.permitplace.com/links/dem...yValues=51,0,0

So if you have to pull any permits for this job, they're going to require a 30 min fire rated sheetrock for that ceiling. This can be either 5/8" type X fire code rock or 1/2" type C fire code rock. If you have to go that way, have your wheaties that moring you're gonna hang the lid, you're gonna need the strength!

Even if you're not pulling permits, I'd recommend 1/2" rock at a minimum for any lid, 3/8" will sag over a relatively short period of time, 5 yrs or so. You plan for the furring strips sounds good, be sure to fasten it securely, 5 screws or nails per joist evenly spaced. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: