Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crown Molding

Visiting Guest

04-14-03, 08:42 AM   #1  
gregoryk
Crown Molding

Just about to start my first crown molding application. It's 3 inch, already primed and painted, just looking for any tips/suggestions to make the project easier or turn out better. I have a CM saw, coping saw, and some 2 inch finishing nails. The room is small (12 ft square) but the moulding is in 8 ft lengths (got a great deal on it), any tips on placement of the scarf joints? Thanks for any suggestions!
GK

Sponsored Links

MO

04-14-03, 10:18 AM   #2  
I'd position the joints so they're least noticible from the doorways,

My main tip would be this, pitch the 2" finish nails, stop by your local rental yard and rent a pneumatic finish nailer. If you must hand drive the hails, predrill, or be prepared to fix a lot of split pieces of molding.

Best of luck.

VA

04-14-03, 11:24 AM   #3  
Here's my suggestion:

Purchase decorative corner blocks, this way all your cuts are 90 degree butt cuts. You'll be glad you went this rioute.

fred

SC

04-14-03, 05:09 PM   #4  
When you cut the running joints, look at where they will be as you walk into the room and put them as much as possible out of sight. Angle the joint away from the perspective of the viewer. That way the shadow will fall behind the joint if it opens and you have not had time to repair it.

8 foot pieces for 12 foot room are not a bargain, if you have ever hung crown before.

Last edited by chfite; 04-14-03 at 05:26 PM.

Search this Thread