Crown Molding

Old 04-14-03, 08:42 AM
gregoryk
Visiting Guest
Crown Molding

Just about to start my first crown molding application. It's 3 inch, already primed and painted, just looking for any tips/suggestions to make the project easier or turn out better. I have a CM saw, coping saw, and some 2 inch finishing nails. The room is small (12 ft square) but the moulding is in 8 ft lengths (got a great deal on it), any tips on placement of the scarf joints? Thanks for any suggestions!
GK

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-03, 10:18 AM
I'd position the joints so they're least noticible from the doorways,

My main tip would be this, pitch the 2" finish nails, stop by your local rental yard and rent a pneumatic finish nailer. If you must hand drive the hails, predrill, or be prepared to fix a lot of split pieces of molding.

Best of luck.

Old 04-14-03, 11:24 AM
Here's my suggestion:

Purchase decorative corner blocks, this way all your cuts are 90 degree butt cuts. You'll be glad you went this rioute.

fred

Old 04-14-03, 05:09 PM
When you cut the running joints, look at where they will be as you walk into the room and put them as much as possible out of sight. Angle the joint away from the perspective of the viewer. That way the shadow will fall behind the joint if it opens and you have not had time to repair it.

8 foot pieces for 12 foot room are not a bargain, if you have ever hung crown before.

Last edited by chfite; 04-14-03 at 05:26 PM.