Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall Textures

chris's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

04-15-03, 09:41 PM   #1  
Drywall Textures

I’m splitting a room into two by adding a drywall and need to match the existing finish.
The best I can describe the finish is that its like large splodges that have been “knockdown” finished, but doesn’t appear to have been applied by a hopper gun, I’ve heard that something called a skip trowel has been used to apply the mud, and then its been knocked down.
Its been used in many newer homes in Arizona.

I cant find in info on how to apply this type of finish, can anyone help ?


Sponsored Links
marygee1's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 116

04-16-03, 03:56 PM   #2  
I would recommend contacting the local contractor's and asking them to recommend a professional. Unless the wall is very large getting it done won't be that expensive but I know from experience that matching an unusual looking texture is amazingly difficult

awesomedell's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,425

04-16-03, 04:44 PM   #3  
Hi Chris, welcome to the forums.

Skip trowel is done by skipping the mud on the wall with a trowel. You use a hawk, (just a sq flat platform on a straight stick for a handle, you can buy them at a good hardware store or big box) It's called skipping because of the action used, you apply pressure in some areas & skip over others.

The sand you want to use is called silica sand. Dump some in your bucket with mud and mix. The amount depends on what your matching.

Tenn Cowboy is right, it might be hard to next to impossible to match your existing texture. Everyone has a different tecnique. If the room is bigger than the wall your matching you may want to skim that wall and start with a new texture throughout.
But it really might be in your best interest to call in a pro for the finishing.

Good luck & post back if we can be of more help.

Search this Thread