Bearing wall Removal

Old 04-16-03, 04:20 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearing wall Removal

We have a 40+ year old brick ranch with a “Hip roof”.

I am remodeling and want to move a wall and I’m uncertain if I can do this structurally.

The ceiling rafters all run across the length of the house until you get to the point where the wall is I want to take out …at this point the rafters change direction and the last 10-12 feet of the house the rafters run with the length of the house and are supported by the existing wall.

I want to take out the last 4 feet of the existing wall but I’m building a new wall approximately three feet away under the rafters that are now supported by the existing wall. Can you look at my drawing and see if I’ll be okay ?

Old 04-16-03, 05:27 PM
Hello Tenn. Cowboy,

Without more info, and probably some pics to work with, I couldn't even begin to advise you on this. Going strictly on your description, I'd say yeah this is a load bearing wall, & no it probably shouldn't moved by a DIYer.
I'd strongly advise you have a local contractor, more than one even take a look at your situation, and advise you. Ask neighbors or friends who've had an addition or remodel done recently for references.
Call in a few & ask for an estimate, nearly every reputable contractor will give you a free estimate on any job they do.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd rather give no advise, than to give bad.

Old 04-16-03, 06:29 PM
M
Were you able to view the .jpg drawing I attached ? It shows up as a paperclip in the forum listing but I can't seem to figure out how to view it

Old 04-16-03, 06:47 PM
Sorry Bob,

They don't allow pic to be attached of posted here. It would be really nice if you could, especially in situations like this. You can post a link to a host site. I use www.snapfish.com It's free, and pretty easy to use. Does require a sign-up, but it's a nice way to share family pics & such with folks, w/o having to e-mail them individually.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: